Parenting Issue - Changing Location, Rotation, Scale with Rigging Armature

Why is it that sometimes when parenting one object to another, the location, rotation and sometimes scale of the child object changes?

Are there any general Blender settings that can correct this?

Also, if a bone, for instance, jumps all out of whack when it has been parented, how can you re-align it? I’ve tried every Bone Roll setting, and still am getting nowhere. Almost done with my first ever eye rig, complete with control targets levers and BAM, bones start flying all over the place ha ha.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

1 Like

When you parent an object, choose the option ‘Keep Transform’ from the pop up menu that appears.

Or, after the command execution, choose that option from the bottom of the Tool shelf on the left of the 3d viewport.

paolo

Thanks sourvinos. When I use that “Keep Transform,” option, the objects change position, but not back to where they were before parenting them. I’m using Blender 2.7a. I’m getting a lot of unpredictable results when working with Armatures related to these changing locations, rotations and sometimes scales as well. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong in setup methods?

One thing I’ve noticed is that if I duplicate a bone to re-purpose it, unexpected results occur if I have any constraints, like a “Damped Track,” constraint for example, on the original bone. Removing that constraint after duplication still seems to leave behind a strange alteration in the way the bone accepts new constraints.

I’ve pasted in a few example screen shots in case anyone out there has suggestions. I’d like to have a better understanding of what’s actually going on here:

I’m trying to limit the rotation of the selected bone on the x-axis relative to the “head,” bone.

I tried the constraint “Limit Rotation,” on the bone that is the parent to the eyelid. For some reason it went to this position.

When I moved the constraint up in the constraints stack, it went here.

I guess what I’m looking to be able to do is set some default positions, like those in the 1st image, set each bone to use those current positions as a new “default,” orientation, and then be able to start applying constraints, etc.

Is there any way to do this? Or is there a work flow for creating bones that avoids these oddities? Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for any assistance. I’m excited (and a bit awed) to see how much potential Blender has for animation based on rigs. Hope I can find some method to avoid this problem going forward!

I don’t make use of rigs so often, so I hope someone else can help here, though I seem to recall some recent talking about this issue, and (perhaps) about its fixing, I may be wrong but you could try with a most recent version: Download - blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software

paolo