Parenting vertices?

I am using a premade model of a head and trying to add armatures to it so can do some simple expressions.

I built a 3bone armature for the top lip, and have all the top lip vertices assigned to the bones. However, since the lip is attached to the head, I can’t parent it to the armature. If I separate the top lip, then parent it, it deforms right, but leaves the rest of the face behind. If I do this then rejoin the lips to the head, I lose the armature control again.

Is it possible to parent JUST the vertices to the armature??

You can parent the whole head to the armature, only vertice assign to the good groups will be deformed. Vertice not assigned to group should not be affected.

Martin

http://mmaigrot.free.fr/didac-blender/ikas/ikas-eng/ik-intro.html
does this help?

Tried that as well.
When that happened, it worked, but lost ability to move head around a head bone on a body armature.

Then I tried linking the lip armature to the head bone, and the head to the lips… and got the whole body revolving with the head!

This is driving me nuts!

Thatbrikwal, that is a very good link, but I am afraid it didn’t help any.
I guess if I really need to alter the mouth, I can go back to deforming it by hand… one vertice at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I solved the problem after reading over the tutorial on doing hands and feet.

I added a bone almost perpindicular to the lip armature, with the base of it towards the head bone and the tip attached to the lip armature. Then, I parented the lips armature to that bone, and that bone to the head bone. Oila! Will all the bones linked, everything worked. Now I can open and close the mouth as well as shaping the lips.