I’m sure it can be done, because I’ve done it myself, for a flash sig.
Oh, wait, here’s the blend file.
I did it over a year ago, though, so I don’t quite remember much about doing it. I think a lot of it was trial and error.
Some things of note, though: I didn’t have any random velocity for the particles. I also had it only emit from vertices, to eliminate randomness.
Also, I’m sure I had some relationship worked out between start + end times, particle life, and number of key positions. I’ve long forgotten it, though, sorry.
(Maybe the number of particles in my mesh have something to do with something, too)