Parts of normal baking inverted?

The normals on these parts of the meshes are no different than the rest. I’ve tried using a cage, and that won’t fix the issue either. I do remember that I encountered this problem before, and managed to fix it, but can’t remember how.

Are your faces flipped? In your Viewport Overlays, turn on Face Orientation. Anything red, select and Mesh > Normals > Flip

idk how to do any of that but my normals are the same as everything else

Just do exactly how I outlined it- your viewport overlays is the little icon that looks like two circles in the top right of your 3D viewport. Turn on the checkbox that says Face Orientation. Select red faces in edit mode. Go to the Mesh menu, on the top. Open the normals sub-menu and choose Flip.

none are red

1 Like

why is it doing this

This usually happens either when normals are flipped, or topology being baked to/from is too close, or too far from eachother, or on the wrong side, or UVs are overlapping. It can often be fixed easily by adjusting the extrusion distance in the bake settings. You can see my settings in the second screenshot, and the fixed normal map in the first screenshot.

Sometimes you cannot get the perfect settings to eliminate all flipped normals. In these instances, I will get as close as I can with a couple bakes, and combine them in photo editing software to get the ideal bake. Sometimes I’ll also resort to painting over the inverted normals if none of my bakes can get close enough.

2 Likes