Paul Spooner - Sketchbook

Big sketch dump from the past two years. Not counting the commission work I’ve done, and the big projects that are still in progress.
Digitized some of my scrap metal from a photo using FSpy:

Made a crazy procgen bookshelf script:
ProcgenBookshelf (1).blend (176.7 KB)

Modeled the Sawayama Wonderdisc from ExaPunks:
RetroDisc.blend (219.6 KB)
RetroDisc2

Some Greek architecture, corinthian columns and stuff, from Los Romanos de la Decadencia by Thomas Couture:
CyberGreek.blend (252.5 KB)

An animated poem reading:

1 Like

Really glad that the first prototype worked. All the modeling was done in Blender. Prints are by Shapeways.

1 Like

Playing with branching arithmetic curves:
Deco Vines.blend (142.5 KB)
Just a few examples of the curves:

The settings are saved to a mesh parameter, so if you select a previously generated curve, the script will copy the settings. Did a stream on the development too:

Updated version that works with Blender 3.0.1 and later. https://github.com/dudecon/Blender-Scripts/blob/main/Deco%20Vines.blend

Got stoked for the Kirby Krackle X-Bot-Galactus in PA comic/2022/01/19 so I made a bit of it in Blender.

Pretty happy with how the procedural background texture turned out, though it’s missing a dilate node that I can’t seem to find. The robot is cool too I guess.
Emerald Eye Bot.blend (141.3 KB)
^ source file if anyone wants to run with it.

Got an idea for an inverted city-covered planet. A city in the shape of a planet, covered in greenery.

The circumferential cities are pretty low-effort, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Blender file here:
Big Spaceship.blend (150.6 KB)

2 Likes

Think I got all the possible configurations, discounting mirrors and full pattern rotations. 24 out of a total of 256.
Wedge Configurations.blend (111.1 KB)
EDIT: Did the brute-force computational solution and found 19 configurations that I missed. Here’s the Python code that found them:

And here’s the completed set:

Revisited the wedge shapes and had the computer generate and organize them.

Wedge Configurations.blend (118.2 KB)
Put the source file on GitHub as well: