PC seemingly going on the fritz? It could be Steam or Chrome (or both)

My PC has in the last year has been starting to have issues with declining performance and unexpected crashes and failures in apps (with increasing severity over the months).

This month, it got so bad that I started to wonder if I would need to get a new machine ASAP. As I was backing up files just in case I also decided to uninstall the Steam Client and then Google Chrome, I then restarted hoping something would improve.

To say it improved was an understatement, performance in areas like Blender improved to what the machine felt like when I first bought it 5 years ago (I found out that a third of my total performance had in fact vanished), some of the processes within the two apps. turned out to become real performance vampires and later seemingly started to feel like computer viruses (because of how they screwed with how other apps and even how Windows itself ran).

I have heard of reports of people talking about how Chrome and Steam (the latter via Denuvo) slowed down the PC, but I did not think it would’ve gotten this bad over time (as my machine did not see a major impact at first). Without those apps. my machine feels refreshed and everything runs as it should now.

If your machine is having issues, then try uninstalling these apps. first before going into deeper troubleshooting.

Oh thats’ not unusual ( imean the RAM usage…) i experience for the third time… when my PC is new… it’s all good… i can use a IDE for development, the app to devleop for, a browser for help, some (multiple ) extra tools… etc. … but over time everything gets bigger and bigger, almost everthing added unwanted features ( a game !! in a browser… )…

So then i have to close my browser from time to time… close momentary unused apps (and opening them half another later…) etc. p.p.

When the RAM classification hadn’t changed too much over this time i may upgrade it… but mostly it almost seem cheaper to buy a new one… (yes i do not upgrade after half a year…)

Not that I would recommend downloading Blender from Steam (it seems to get updates at a much slower pace than the version you simply download from the Blender Foundation website, similar to how the Xbox Game Pass version of that weird Palworld game seems to get crucial patches at a slower pace right now than if you got it from literally any other PC storefront)–but what if people are using the Steam version of Blender? I have long abandoned Google Chrome and its wasteful use of RAM for Brave Browser or Firefox, but getting me to delete Steam and the mountain of games (and software, such as RPG Maker MV or Houdini Indie) I still want to experience at some point is a bit tougher for me to justify. My laptop from 2021 seems to be mostly fine for now, no arbitrary crashes, yet.