PCV Rendering - black screen

Continuing the discussion from Point Cloud Visualizer:

I’ve been trying to render a point cloud with PCV and am running into the same problem every time. I can load the point cloud and draw it and can see it on the 3d layout or through the camera view. When I try to render or create an animation, the result is always a black screen. I am not very skilled at Blender and am probably doing something wrong… I would appreciate if you could give se some help. I am running Blender on Windows 10. Thank you

hi, two things for you to verify. are you running blender 2.83 or newer? and are you clicking Render button in PCV itself? not the blender’s one? blender can’t render point cloud data yet, if you would like to use cycles or eevee you need to Convert points to mesh or particles

I am running Blender 2.92 and am clicking on the Render button in the PCV menu. It runs (pauses for a couple seconds and saves in the defined folder) but the resulting file is just a black image. When I look through the camera view (0) it works, but the rendering file is blank.
The point cloud was extracted from a mesh in CloudCompare (ply format using binary or ascII). I can visualize it using PCV but, for some reason, cannot render. I wonder if I should be doing something different when creating the point cloud in CloudCompare.

I’ve also just noticed that, when I convert the point cloud to cubes, even if the color option is flagged, the resulting cubes have no color.

that’s strange… can you please send me some example ply? and maybe scene blend file with camera? so i can test it?

just downgrade to blender 2.83