PDSA Dickin Medal

Hi all! Here’s a current work in progress - the PDSA Dickin Medal. Created for a project at work. It’s far from finished, but this mock-up was used as part of an official medal book. I’m currently in the process of modelling the fine detail on the actual face - something that I’m finding difficult. I originally tried bump maps and that didn’t give me the detail I needed, so I think modelling by hand is the best option - any tips on creating the fine details would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

2 Likes

you can sculpt iy, but it will mean alot of detals in the finish result !!!

I originally tried using Micro displacements but I just got odd geometry issues where the medal looked more like a spiky mountain range… The texture is fairly hi-res and looks great in the images above where it LOOKS like there’s depth on the top of the medal.

This is the first time I’ve ever modelled something in Blender so how would I go about modelling the intricate details on this model?

Thanks!

I’m trying to finalize a worldwide collection of medals/orders from WW1 for a Kindle eBook, The Great War 100 Years in Medal - A description of the major worldwide events of WW1 in Medals. I contacted PDSA and got no reply as expected. I want to write a section about animals in WW1 and you know War Horse was issued with one as the representative of the animals of WW1, would you be able to make one for me at cost please?