Perfume Bokeh & Caustics

Just love the super soft ‘Bokeh’ created from background lights within in photographs so choose to try and achieve that similar kind of look with this perfume render.

I use GeoNodes to quickly create random patterns with spheres and used these as different emissive light sources to create the Bokeh effect in the background.

The bottle is a simple SubD model and the I use the interior of the bottle to create the liquid.

The cap/lid is another SubD model with a little bump map tillable texture created in Photoshop. The material for the cap/lid has a small amount of subsurface scattering on it which allows it to ‘glow’ a little around the edges.

The label was jus the biggest image I could find on the internet! :wink:

For the Caustics I messed about with some lights and displaced objects to create what looks like the light shining through the bottle.

Lighting is nice and simple again - Main light to the left, a bounce card to the right which gives s little bit of fill light. I then added a GOBO spotlight just on the label to help highlight it and give a nice pattern on the label.

Uploaded a wireframe:-

28 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Oh look! Angel rays

1 Like

Thanks! What does this mean? :slight_smile:

Thanks! Caustics in Blender is difficult to get right! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks.

I do a lot of caustics in my work. I started a thread about the word “caustics” itself, as not being much adequate anymore in artistic situations. The thread also gives the occasion to talk about the status of rendering optical phenomena like caustics.

Link here [They should be called angel rays, things that will never change: thoughts, feelings about caustics]

1 Like

Click on the link and find out :wink:

1 Like

Oh, wow, yeah you do a lot of caustics! I think I’ve even seen some of your YouTubes videos when looking for caustics in Blender! :slight_smile:

I’ve just posted a cut glass render on my instagram which I feature caustics as the main point of view feel free to check it out.

1 Like

ah, I see…I think you’ve just featured me again for my Kraken Render! Thank You :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added the wireframe in the correct place this time! DOH! :rofl:

Just saw your project. Great job! You just nailed what I was struggling to get (and sorta failed) with my latest personal project :slight_smile: . Glass with caustics using Cycles. Can you share some more details on how exactly you did this effect ?

1 Like

Amazing work and so beautiful colours!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the comments.

I’ve popped over to see your render and problems with caustics and hopefully can help out from there! :slight_smile:

Thanks! Tried really hard to makes colours pop and look right in the background.

That’s spectacular! Great attention to detail. I’m old enough to remember when that would have taken a week to render and still not looked that good.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!

LOL, yeah, I’m old enough to have waited a week for that to render and not look this good, and I was still stupid enough to try again! :rofl: Its crazy how fast these GPUs are right now!

Haha, I remember trying to render this stuff with Lightwave or Softimage/Mental Ray on single (or if lucky, dual) core CPU’s and watching it crawl across the screen which was the equivalent of watching paint dry… and then seeing a mistake.

On the forums I see endless complaints of how slow this or that is. Cycles is a dream compared to MR and I’m constantly amazed at how awesome it is with GPU help and denoising. It’s almost at the point I can’t get anything done because I start playing around and never stop.

1 Like

I used to use Lightwave back in the ‘Toaster’ days on an Amiga, so know those times very well!

Cycles is a total dream to use and with these new GPU’s (4090) rendering times are crazy fast compared to what we used to have to wait! I find I get more done as I can see things happening pretty much in real time!

PS. I love traveling in Canada and I love your paintings! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I would hold on the travel to Canada, it was -44° last night where I am :smiling_face_with_tear: Six months from now might be nice.

I was an Amiga user too, I loved it at the time.

The instant feedback you get with Cycles now it’s astounding. I love it!

1 Like

LOL, yeah -44 is a touch on the chilly side!