Perfume flask: Texture is distorted and "cap" is not black

Hi,

right now, I’m making a perfume flask (Chanel No. 5 Eau de Toilette), and with the help of this forum I’m making progress, but now all of a sudden the label “Chanel” gets distorted, and I don’t know, why. Plus, the black color of the “cap” on top of the glass doesn’t show up. I’m attaching the .blend file:

Chanel No. 5 14e.blend (3.2 MB)

TIA,

Claus

P. S.: I am also attaching a render with some remarks:

Looks like you have extruded inward to create the thickness, and that the black material is only on the internal faces of the lid area. Also the mapping is not distorted here, but it is on the back face instead of the front face and shows through, not sure if that is by design. I would simplify the model into two parts, lid and bottle, and use a solidify modifier for the thickness instead of modeling it outright.

Thanks! I followed your advice, and the mesh looks much better now. I went back to an earlier version where the label isn’t distorted.

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted, cheers!

Yep! I have one further question: I want to remove the label because the flask is too long. I want to map the label anew. How do I do that?

Here’s my modified .blend file again:

Chanel No. 5 14f.blend (3.2 MB)

If you want to remap the image, then it is just about modeling the flask to the correct length and then add a few vertex loop cuts so that you can unwrap the faces to place the logo elements correctly in relation to the object. I am still stumped on how you have thickness to the bottle and yet I don’t see a solidify modifier and I cannot select the extra outer geo. Also, double check your surface normals, I think they are inverted.

Hi Craig,

I started anew, and this time I used a solidify modifier. I am attaching the .blend file. What do I do after that? I somehow have to model the perfume & the lid.

Chanel No. 5 15a.blend (626.2 KB)

Also, double check your surface normals, I think they are inverted.

What are those normals there for?

Claus

I changed to use the camera as the mapping view for the model, and used that to ‘unwrap from view’ to align the texture to the faces.

Normals are for calculating the direction of the surface and sometimes inversion leads to shading problems.Chanel No. 5 15b.blend (710.9 KB)