Photographer - Camera Exposure, White Balance, Autofocus, Physical Lights, Bokeh, Render Queue

My composeting nodes look like this at the moment, I thought I had to use File Output to get things to work, I am using EXR-IO in Photoshop

Iā€™ll check if there is a bug or a specific situation I didnā€™t cover.

You donā€™t need a File Output node for Multilayer EXR, your current setup is what you would do to save all passes as different files.

I might be using an old workaround, but it might have been fixed. I will check to see if I can render straight to Composite out with Multylayer exr

Now it works if I set it directly to ML EXR, Thanks. I am getting some other wierd results, but I think thats just me messing up my viewport/render visability :slight_smile:

While I am at it, would it be possible to get the Apply at Compositing in exposure to be turned on right before rendering automaticaly. I keep forgeting to turn it back on :wink: btw, that is a realy nice feature to get the exposed image embeded to the exr, for us not so colormanagement sawy people :wink:

I can make an option to only apply at compositing when rendering animation (that will be in 5.0).

I mean I adjust exposure in viewport, and then I start a render and forget to turn it on in composeting to get it stored in the exr, would be nice if we could have an option to switch it from viewport to composeting right as you start the render, then it would be more of a set and forget setting, if you know what I mean ā€¦

1 Like

That would be awesome as I find myself forgetting to turn this on sometimes.

Great work on the addon, Iā€™ve been experimenting with the auto exposure features and itā€™s a real time saver. If I may make a couple small functionality requests? Thank you.

1: A means to automate keyframing over a series of frames.
How I envision this is a means to set a frame range, and an interval, and let the AutoCorrector save a keyframe at each interval. E.g. from frame 10 to 150, every 20 frames, move to frame + wait 1/2 second for EV to stabilise + keyframe + repeat.

I have this saved as a macro right now but itā€™d be great if it was built in functionality. Maybe for V5 if not a V4 addition? Seems baking has been disabled for a bit now.

2: Some more exposure options for Auto Exposure
The typical use case is already covered of course (average luminance used as the determining factor for EV) but the ability to tell the auto exposure to, instead, consider only the darkest or brightest portion of the image would be very helpful.

Iā€™ve had a few scenes where Iā€™m taking the automated EV settings and overwriting them by manually picking those values, itā€™d be nice if this was an option. I can somewhat fake this in compositor using luminance levels outputting to standard deviation but itā€™s not quite the same without true lerping.

1: Iā€™ll add it to my list. Iā€™m always a bit scared about time-based handlers because so many things can go wrong (what if the user changes the UI and remove the 3D viewport during the keyframing, what if he turns off the rendered mode, etcā€¦).

2: Iā€™ll check what I can do.

1 Like

Thanks mate.

I dived into the code myself and managed to play around with implementing point 2, but unfortunately it appears for accurate measurement of highest or lowest the algorithm would need a rethink - itā€™s only accurate with more than 16 grid sections. Which, as you know, lags you down. If this is a violation of the license, I apologise.

I did work out quite quickly how to set an upper and lower bound to the maximum AutoExposure (and EV) will adjust to. Which was very useful in my usecase!

Iā€™d assume the fastest approach at this point would be to just treat the whole scene as one tile (if averaging isnā€™t being considered, after all itā€™s just the upper and lower bounds weā€™re finding). But I am essentially a code monkey poking at anotherā€™s script!

No problem, suggestions are always welcome. Min and Max are definitely simple to implement.

Not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Just me spitballing a faster algorithm for a more accurate ā€œabsoluteā€ upper and lower luminosity bound. Please ignore me, Iā€™m sure youā€™ve thoughts =)

Iā€™ve been experiencing many crashes or errors with the latest build: 4.8.3 (using Windows).

Sometimes the camera shows a big purple box, which I believe is related to ā€œdepth of field and sub boxes like optical vignetting and bokeh,ā€ which I do not remember to have activated.

Without a sample scene or log, I know it does not tell much; I just wanted to share it and ask if someone else experienced it too. This is an essential add-on for my workflow, and for the first time have been behaving erratically. I will try to be better at spotting it next time it happens to share it with the developer.

As a minor cosmetic thing

This is visually unpleasant and confusing. Maybe there is a different way to improve it?

Thank you for your addon; it has been a game-changer!

In preferences you can switch between normal and compact view &
you can rearrange photographers n-panel to your liking.(Do this in the blank startup file and save it)
Another way is to change the blender themes colors for highlighting ā€¦
Also you can change the naming in preferences to make two panels out of it, see image belowā€¦

Please send me the error messages or reproducing steps so I can investigate. Donā€™t forget to mention the Blender version you are using.

The add-on references textures that are installed in your presets folder, or in the folder that you specified in the preferences. The purple means that Blender cannot find the texture, you should be able to fix that by reassigning the bokeh or optical vignetting texture from the add-on panel.
Also make sure that the textures that were used were not deleted from the folders set in the preferences.

Blender decided that Add-ons should be part of the N-panelā€¦ At this point, the panel should not be collapsed to its default size. I donā€™t know many add-ons that works with the default size, honestly. As @Nurb2Kea you can Show Compact UI to clean up the headers of subpanels, but it wonā€™t fix everything.

1 Like

Thank you for your fast answer; I will send the error details next time they appear.

1 Like

Hi,

thank you for the great addon, love it. Would it be possible to add ā€œRender Samplesā€ as a per-camera option? Iā€™ve had a few cases where this would be quite helpful.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Just working through the new lightning workshop from Creative Shrimpā€¦
And I just realized that there is something like lens flare addons and Photographer doesnā€™t have that.
Maybe this could be something for Photographer 5?

Not for the release, but I have plans to take advantage of the realtime viewport compositing for similar effects.
Not sure about flare rigs yet, itā€™s not hard to do, the problem is more to provide good textures.

There is this addon doing flares with 3d objects in the viewport.

Would that be an option?