Physical Starlight and Atmosphere Addon for 2.9 (v1.4) - now with Clouds!

i don’t know. i have to get a hold of other render engines and start testing those. maybe there is someone in the community that could test it out? Luxrender, Octane, Vray, etc?

interesting idea. considering there are unlimited combinations, sharing your sky settings could be useful.

1 Like

procedural stars was the initial thought, but I have to make a convincing shader. meanwhile you are free to input your star texture.

1 Like

Hi,
I really to buy this addon, could not you even test it with the LuxcoreRender for Blender 2.8 ?

thanks

Not working as far I could test, sun seems to be working but not atmosphere (doesn’t respond to settings)

I tried LuxCoreRender, It uses ‘Hosek-Wilkie Physical Sky’ and, as far as I know, cannot be replaced with the custom world node

Thank you both

Request: Reset to defaults. this would also be helpful for blender materials. testing the Principled BSDF SubSurface and noticed jagged shadows, not sure if this is Atmosphere related or a blender shadow setting.
…but I’ve changed settings and don’t remember the defaults. Will a restart reset everything?

2 Likes

Martin, the results with this addon are absolutely phenomenal. Its so apparent how much love and curiosity went into developing all its facets. The results you can get are just so sumptuous. I love how you left the parameters open enough to get highly art designed looks too.

QONVIyz

3 Likes

You can hover with the mouse pointer over a field and press backspace to reset that field to its defaults

1 Like

It’s become one of my daily used addons! Quick tests of objects and scenes under outside lighting conditions is so easy and quick with this.

Saved me a lot of time already on just creating credible light conditions. Definitely a time saver.

1 Like

Hi! I just got the plugin on gumroad… is there a manual somewhere?.. I can’t find it

EDIT: I saw there’s the documentation section on the blender market… is there something like this also on gumroad? I might have missed it. However it’d be great to have something a little bit more in depth. I saw there’s a ton of new node groups in the node editor, I wonder what they are for and how they should be used correctly. I am especially interested in the atmospheric height scattering falloff

btw, just using the sky is super easy and gives amazing results! Well done!

2 Likes

Hi martinsh,
first of all, congratulations for this very good work! it even topped my own starfield skydome material by far; but i’m fine with that :wink:

I checked your node setup, and came up with an idea of improvement, but something went wrong. It is pretty easy to add a node to make the sun blend into the background, so that it look as if the sun is “behind” clouds:

Now that i added the node, the addon does no longer react to the settings in the N-Panel. I can change whatever value i want, but the render does not change, for both Eevee and Cycles.

am i allowed to post the additional nodes here, or shall is send you a PM? And do you have any idea why the addon N-Panel does not react any longer?

5 Likes

Seems like the fog dosen’t work in 2.81. I tested it in 2.80 with the same setting there it was fine:

I guess it is because of the node changes?

works for me in 2.81
did you connect the ‘StarlightAtmosphere’ node to the material?

Ok tested it a bit you remember the duplicates? It seems like it works with StarlightAtmosphere (old one) but the newer one StarlightAtmosphere.001 duplicate with the cycle fog fix dosen’t work. I can only guess it is because of the name .001 .

I was testing the addon and created this test scene using this addon.

14 Likes

Hi, my apology if this question is answered before. (didn’t read the whole thread).
I wonder;

In EEVEE, the environment lights (HDRI / Environment Texture) don’t produce shadows. Therefore it’s advised, AFAIK, that you better use lights (area lights, spot and pointlights).
How does that work with this addon? Is there anything we better don’t use in EEVEE, or are there limitations for EEVEE when using this addon?

Love what I am seeing so far with the development of this plugin! Coming from UE4 this is an absolute delight and I am really looking forward to future updates.

Is there any chance the plugin could auto detect a projects unit settings and adjust the input parameters accordingly?

4 Likes

@martinsh Wow that looks sick! If this first price keeps for a few more days i will buy it! Looks like an AWESOME environment mood addon.

A there’s a question i couldn’t catch. There’s anyway to get only the light and use for example an image for the background?

1 Like