Picto's sketchbook

Thumbnail update

First tests of my dust particle generator…

10 Likes

I really like this dust! It looks very natural. I’m guessing geometry nodes? Is the fine layer of dust individual instances, or is it done inside the material?

Hi @sidp ,
sorry for the late reply. I posted the images just before going to bed.

Indeed, I used the geometry nodes to create and position small filaments on the top of the objects and the rest is managed by a material.
It was an interesting first exercise in discovering these geometry nodes :exploding_head:

I still need to figure out how to apply the material for the fine layer of dust on all the objects in the collection that receive the little filaments…

1 Like

Masking using the Z component of normal is quite practical, but it doesn’t prevent dust from being applied deep into the cavities (which I don’t necessarily want).
I don’t have this problem with the fibres because they’re placed differently: Raycast - backface - #3 by picto

Still using an image for the dust in these tests. I’m now going to try replacing it with a set of procedural textures.

2 Likes

Just a cool shape I saw online.
I think the original is from here.
An interesting modelling exercise that I invite you to try.

5 Likes

Amazing work!
Just a quick question
How did you post these panning images? what’s the syntax for this?

You simply need to clic that star icon in the editor menu and then drag and drop 2 images inside the generated code.

Capture d’écran 2024-04-15 à 08.42.09

<div data-image-comparison-slider data-direction-horizontal>
Add two images here. Change 'data-direction-horizontal' to 'data-direction-vertical' for a vertical slider.
</div>
1 Like