Pillarcliff Inn

Pillarcliff Inn

Nestled high in the mountains is a tranquil, beautiful, inn perched on a jutting tower of rock. A premier destination- unless you’re afraid of heights, as the only way to get there is a steep cliffside trail, leading to a open-air elevator ride, with your final destination having no fences or guardrails. Careful where you step :grin:

Details

Timeline

I first started working on this project two years ago, hit a wall, and forgot about it until a week ago. Luckily, my skills have improved to the point where I was able to finish this now.

Inspiration

My inspiration for this scene was Raphaelle Deslandes’ “Cute cottage on a cliff in the woods and the only access to it is an elevator pulley mechanism”. I have a physical print of this on my wall, actually, and I see it every day when I’m working in Blender.

I use “inspiration” rather than reference, as I’ve deviated and gone my own way rather significantly, but it’s undeniably inspired by and dedicated to Raph. She’ll probably never see this, but if she does- you’re incredible, thanks for inspiring me!

Scene setup

This scene is a mixture of 2D planes and 3D objects. It only works from one specific camera angle, as a result, as I worked to camera view from start to finish.

This scene required five view layers to get the highly complex depths right- some birds are in front of the building, some are behind, etc.

Clouds

As is usual for me, the clouds are overlapping 2D planes at various depths, animated to create a parallax effect.

Compositing

Fair warning- my compositing nodes are a complete mess, I didn’t care to clean them up.

Normally I would share a comparison of pre/post compositing- however, there’s essentially nothing to see in a single image pre-compositing due to the extensive work being done by the compositor.

Technical details

I built and rendered this scene in- initially- 3.6.5 Goo Engine and later in 4.1 Goo Engine. This topic is not the place to share my thoughts about 4.2; suffice it to say I’ll be using 4.1 for the foreseeable future.

Painting was done in Procreate and Affinity Photo- some painting I did on a 2022 iPad Air, some I did on my XP-PEN Artist 24 Pro.

Textures

All the textures on the building are procedurally done in Blender. Here ae some notable examples:

An early texture test from 2022:

As you can see, I have significantly improved… everything since then :sweat_smile:

Paintings

These are the main three paintings.

Mountains

The mountains are planes I cut into shape and added procedural texturing to:

Building

Birds

I created, rigged, animated, and painted a single low-poly bird and used boid particles to make the flock. Geometry nodes aren’t quite up to task for boids, and my own bespoke Python solution isn’t ready for use yet.

An important detail from the inspirational work is that the birds are white in front of the blue mountain and blue everywhere else. I love this effect, and made it a priority to add it:

I’m using what should probably be called “hacky compositing” to do this, doing some simple math with cryptomatte picks and image alphas.

I rendered out the birds separately as image planes and imported those.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to @thorn for being a second pair of eyes and helping me get this looking good.

Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

41 Likes

In entirely useless details, this is a twelve party inn with a max occupancy of ~60 or so, not that fire code seems to be a priority wherever this is. There’s three studio suites in the tower, one large suite in the wing, and eight normal suites, as well as a kitchen, dining area, lobby, pantry, laundry room, and staff quarters (I’d say this wouldn’t need more than 4 staff max).

That makes roughly 13 bedrooms, 13 bathrooms, three floors, four staircases, and 5 or 6 additional rooms not counting hallways. At a very rough estimate, based on some quick research, I’m going to put this at 16,000 square feet. It would probably be worth about 4 million in today’s market, although the lack of a driveway, garage, and high risk of falling a few thousand feet to your death at any given moment might knock that price down :wink:

4 Likes

beautiful work !

1 Like

“In event of fire, jump to your death: it’s quicker.”

5 Likes

I was just messaging @thorn about that:

And my wife:

Great minds think alike :laughing: seems like the major takeaway here is “huh, that looks like a death trap”. But at least the view is great!

(Thanks @alf0 !)

4 Likes

Scaffolding. Just sayin…

2 Likes

I’m going to assume the protocol if someone dies of a heart attack or something is just “give em a nudge”. Saves on funeral expenses.

“Why is there a pile of skeletons at the bottom of this cliff?” “I dunno, we’re way up here. Not our problem”

2 Likes

“It’s uh…old halloween decorations. Try not to think about it.”

2 Likes

They were not worthy to be Spartans.

3 Likes

(Not to scale)

3 Likes

I doubt there would be a skeleton problem. Think about it. At that height, even if the first person’s remains survived relatively intact the force of the next one landing will cover up a multitude of sins.

2 Likes

Fair, although “pile of skeletons” felt more in tune with the fairy-tale-esque atmosphere of this piece than “vaguely boney suspicious meat pile”

3 Likes

It happens rarely enough so that the previous person is already skeletonized before the next one falls.

4 Likes

… And other helpful quotes from the marketing material on TripAdvisor

4 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

This is brilliant. Nice work :trophy:

1 Like

Thank you :grin: if you like this, you’ll love my best project :wink:

2 Likes

It indeed looks like one of the best projects for any artist :slight_smile:

I just saw this thread, happy to see that you have explained how to do it. Will go through the same :trophy:

1 Like