Pine cones still life (and a cool making of, I think)

Hello everyone,

So… pine cones.
Why?

It has been a while that I’m working on capturing nature around me. Easier than it sounds.

After raiding the local arboretum, I had myself a few pine cone specimen, cool.

After all, I have found a cheap-ish setup to capture small objects with high precision

Trying Polycam instead of Meshroom, and I’m super impressed. It cuts down hours of work and it produces the best reconstructions I have seen.

Still nothing to show for it… I’m looking at the great compositions of David Padilla or Kasper Steernberg and I sort of want to do the same. So I look up some nice compositions with pine cones, and it’s always the same story, pine cones with snow, jingle bells and all this.

Nope.

I give up. It’s late already. You know what, let’s throw them in a bowl, that will do!

(better resolution on Instagram)

Meh… OK, last resort. Let’s ask Wombo what he thinks a nice pine cone composition looks like.

Damn, that Wombo is definitely worryingly good. Allright, we got a basis here. Let’s use the AI to our advantage rather than the inverse while it is still possible, let’s watch a couple of stuff on still life on youTube, and we should be good to go.

These are all assets I scanned or made myself, I’m happy - takes a loooong time… Not even a little CC0 thing in there.
The raw render on transparent background

Using the set of backgrounds for portrait photography I made based on real life examples, the post processing is done in GIMP and Topaz Studio, we have the final image on top.
The image before Topaz Studio:

And for the ones noticing the details, the cedrus branch is also sort of cool, I plan to use them with mtree. Tomorrow.

11 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Great, thanks!

1 Like