Pixar's RenderMan 24, will no longer work in Blender 3.2

Hayo,

after updating Blender 3.0 to 3.2 I no longer have working Pixar’s RenderMan. I have installed RenderMan 24 and the updated version of RenderMan Server, but I keep getting an error with the Add-on. I had asked RenderMan but after weeks of waiting still no answer. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it by now?

(I’ve even removed everything from the Add-on and uninstalled everything, restarted PC/laptop, reinstalled everything with the newest updatest but the problem persists)

If this doesn’t work anymore, is it worth switching to MoonRay later this year? (for those who know this, or was allowed to test in the early stages?)

MoonRay is the Dispatcher (I assume it is meant by Renderer?) from DreamWorks Animation Studios that will be available as OpenSource later this year.

I hope someone can/want to help?

Thank you very much in advance!

Pixar’s RenderMan 24 Blender 3.2

It’s very difficult to read your error message, in future I’d recommend using a dedicated screenshot tool such as Window’s Snipping Tool, Greenshot, or Gyazo :slight_smile:

Because of that difficulty, it’s hard to say, but you’re missing a DLL for sure. This implies to me that you should reinstall Blender and Renderman. If you can post a higher quality screenshot I might be able to help more

Same here. Blender can be, but isn’t a production tool. In a studio stability is more important than a fast development, Blender evolves too fast. You will have to wait a 3.0+ LTS version and a Renderman update, or downgrade to 2.92. Moonray will probably follow same guidelines.

From Renderman documentation:

“Please note that due to the change in the version of Python in Blender 2.93, RenderMan only supports Blender versions up to 2.92 at this time.”

2 Likes

Good evening everyone. :smiley:

Does anyone know if Pixar’s RenderMan will be supported again after Blender version 3.0?

Above I asked a while ago why I kept getting errors with Pixar’s RenderMan and I got a straight answers.

So I was curious if more was known about this?

Or that Pixar RenderMan users should stay in 2.93 for a while and switch to 3.0 or 3.1 (LTE) for general use in Blender?
I’ve been on 3.0 for a while now, since the 3.0 was officially released.

Thank you very much in advance! :smile:

It’s impossible for any of us to say, as this is up to Pixar. You can check if there’s any updates here:

Yes, it will. There are Python language changes which prohibit the compatibility of RM24.4 with B3D After ver. 3.0 at this time (Namely Python 3.10) However Pixar does target RM25 to be compatible with Python 3.10 which would be B3D versions later than 3.0.x.

I find RM24.4 to be most compatible with B3D 2.93.x (LTS) but it does also work on B3D 3.0.x.

1 Like