Pixologic ➔ Maxon ZBrush

Absolutely. That’s one of the possible ZB scenarios I’ve got in mind.

Yeah, I was also surprised by that. It seems that the Maxon takeover is changing their MO. Following my initial worries I like to believe that the takeover will not only bring disadvantages to the ZB user community, but maybe a fresh view upon things as well.

1 Like

There might finally be a decent forum. I’ve always hated Zbrushcentral, especially the revamped site that is just a mess.

4 Likes

3DC is really missing the dynamic subdiv/multiresolution options for clean detailing/panelling, if that and the bugs were taken care of, there wouldn’t be too much to complain about i suppose. I am quite amazed by how an allegedly small team managed to keep ZBrush relatively bug free with the immense amount of features that work so well together.

4 Likes

My thoughts too!

2 Likes

Great quote from the ZBrushCentral thread about the Maxon takeover:

There is a middleground between perpetual licenses and subscriptions that just end access to apps with Your last payment. IntelliJ Idea, on of the most popular IDE’s out there, has a rent-to-own model: You start a subscription for a year. After that, You are free to keep the version You started with indefinitely. The company is confident enough that their updates will be worth it and a large enough batch of customers will keep their subscription. Folks who don’t need the bleeding edge at any time pay effectively once, and are free to use a fully functional, but not the latest, version until they need or want to upgrade again.
I’d love to see more companies adopt this model. It has obvious benefits for all: companies still generate a steady income of revenues, while customers have more choice how and when to upgrade. Also, most importantly, peace of mind: if anything happens and You can’t afford a subscription temporarily, You still have a fully functioning software. It effectively eliminates this end-of-access anxiety that probably many have and which is possibly the reason why the subscription-only model is so, well, hated.

Pilgway also offers the rent-to-own option for 3D Coat, next to a perpetual license and a regular subscription. :+1:

5 Likes

https://www.maxon.net/en/event/maxon-spring-launch-event

Unprecedented ZBrush subscription value? :wink:

I am curious what they will show. It has to be one hell of a zbrush update to get people to update.

At this point anything short of subtool revamp or a massive UI update won’t get me to update because zbrush 2022 already has pretty much anything I can possibly need for sculpting and I plan to use it till the wheels fall off.

4 Likes

Same here.

My guess is that Maxon will not announce a new ZBrush version, but the integration of ZBrush into their Maxon One collection of tools. Something like being able to use C4D, ZBrush, Redshift, Red Giant, Forger and some more tools for ‘only’ $ 140 per month or so. :smirk:

:fire:

I’m actually curious to see the features of the next version of cinema… :thinking:

1 Like

New UI :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
So you will have quality time to find where they hide stuff. In this way you will have less time to nagging because bugs.
PS. Maxon please don’t mess with ZBrush UI… please.

2 Likes

Much more than that… :wink:

1 Like

Honestly I don’t mind the zbrush UI. It is very easy to customize the way you want to work but the whole subtool workflow is terrible.

I just saw that exoside subtool manager is not being developed anymore which sucks because it fixes most subtool UI issues.

I would love to see maxon fix the terrible slider sensitivity in the brush UI and the subtool stuff and I will be good. Oh and also fix the horrible curve brush workflow too.

2 Likes

Maxon programmers can’t fix C4D, so I will be more than happy if they keep his paws far from Zbrush.
I think that you don’t understand what can be happen to Zbrush. They broke C4D UI which are one of strongest cinema features. Who know what they can █████ with Zbrush UI… don’t forget they remove customization of some stuff in C4D.

1 Like

Did you know that holding Shift while moving a slider forces the values to integer increments?

1 Like

Yep I do. That is great for something like zremesher target poly count slider but to my knowledge there is no button to hold down to slow increment a slider.

I seem to recall that if you start dragging a slider, then while dragging move your pointer a bit vertically away from the actual slider, the increments should slow down, but I tried and it doesn’t work. It might only work with certain sliders, but I’m probably mistaking, and it’s probably a feature of a different tool.

Houdini works like that, they call it “value ladders”

1 Like

Some zbrush sliders have an additional slider that appears above the regular one that allows to slow the increment if you drag it…

ZBrush_2022-04-08_18-32-23

But again, not all sliders have that… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

Huh I never noticed this before

Uggh … I always get a sudden sinking feeling when I see this thread is back on top. It’s always, oh no what’s happening now ? But it’s just a conversation about sliders. :upside_down_face:

Recently Zmodeller has started to click more with me. I never could get comfortably into it before but I started using it again recently to avoid jumping apps and I felt I suddenly understood it much more. Sometimes time away from something you might have struggled with before really does form new perspectives.

The trick for me was to disregard it as a typical poly modelling and editing tool and see it as more as another sculpting tool but one that works directly with quad polygons. So lots temp face selection sets with a whole lot of masking and unmasking. And the transpose line. No transform gizmo. Constant use of the transpose line. At least that’s how it has started clicking for me.