Pixologic ➔ Maxon ZBrush

I had seen the first demos of Maya 1.0 The rigid bodies were in real time, which was revolutionary for the time

2 Likes

Yes. Wow . Where did you see the demos ? I remember when first learning it how fun ot was to set up little rigid body obstacle courses. So you could animate swinging ramps and curvy shoots for a ball to roll down and knock all sorts of other things over. I wasn’t in any way trying to knock Maya. And certianly not doing a software Vs thing. Just wanting to point out how far things have moved in what it is accessible and possible to do now in CGI.

1 Like

Watched those tutorials, i’m really not convinced. Nothing very new.
Also many times they should have put icons instead of dialog boxes with text buttons.
Resolution does not seem to go very high on those examples, even using their resolution per layer.

What’s different frm Adobe Medium ? Perhaps brand as new product with subscription.

I’m just really not impressed at all :joy:

It will certainly be a good 3D sculpting modeling app.
Perhaps Blender should adopt OpenXR and propose such intuitive VR sculpting mode for people interested why not ?

50$ for studio version, for navigation, is this a joke ?

1 Like

Blender already supports OpenXR. There’s a bundled add-on that lets you do scene inspection in VR. I don’t think they are anywhere near adding sculpting, at most a dev branch allows you to add objects.

Definitely! This was one of those 3D milestones that set a new standard.

1 Like

Modeler has infinite res technically. No limits on the layer, bar you machine.
you can go into the 100s of millions of triangles easily with practically infinite layers.

It’s still early enough in beta, but is already far better than Medium. Much better performance, updated core engine, 64bit unlimited voxel res(no voxel bounds), far superior brush engine, dynamic primitive system, surfacing tools(Zbrush-like clay buildup brush), a very powerful instancing system, radial/linear arrays, infinite instances, updated boolean system, new scene scoping/grouping/layer system, and more I can’t think of right now… and this is just early days.

2 Likes

Indeed limitation by your Ram and CPU GPU power.

It can be a cool tool, but not Zbrush challenger.
Let’s wait for some desktop trial version.

It’s not supposed to be a Zbrush challenger. It’s exclusively a voxel modeling software.
It’s a hybrid desktop/VR tool so anyone can try the beta. VR is a far better environment to work in though.

1 Like

Do you mean specifically for Modeler in its current state or in general? Considering the accuracy of today’s devices (graphic tablets, VR controllers) and the ergonomics of VR glasses.

Well, both. VR mode is far better than the desktop mode in Modeler. It’s good to have it hybrid, but personally I work exclusively in VR.

As for VR in general, it’s the closest thing you can get to real world sculpting because you’re viewing your sculpt silhouette ‘in the round’ as the classical master sculptors called it. You just can’t beat VR for working with 3D models. Being able to reach around your model while sculpting is also something that’s obviously impossible on a flat 2D screen.

Also, the 6dof warp(elastic deform in blender) tool is absolutely incredible. It has to be experienced to appreciate what it can do in a 6dof VR environment. Hard to explain. Modeler is going to be a gamechanger for a lot of people. Me, I’m Zbrush to the bitter end. I can do things in there that I can’t do anywhere else, but I can certainly see the power and advantages of working in VR.

2 Likes

3D Coat has been there from long time already. I think Substance modeler will be simplified and limited compared to it, something more for hobbyst in majority.

3D Coat isnt VR. Also, the Substance team are behind Modeler, so that’s a big one for me.

Didn’t people used to say that about Blender?

2 Likes

I saw this new NK video posted last night. There is another familliar app being used too. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is reminding me a lot of the real time immediacy of voxel modelling in 3D Coat but seemingly not as developed or feature rich quite yet ? 3D Coat voxel sculpting is feeling great in the latest releases and smooth as butter at a high resolution. It feels so highly evolved now. Like the voxel freedom vision in that app has really matured now into it’s full potential. I am guessing 3D Coat might eventually also be making this VR leap as well if it has been shown to have real practical value. As for ZBrush. I had a vague memory of Joseph Drust I think making an off the cuff remark in one of his last video streams which was … It’s all VR here right now. Or something like that. But this might be me remembering it all wrong and I don’t want to be spreading any false rumours or misinformation. The question is how would it work with ZBrush’s unique 2. 5D canvas system. Could you have ZBrush’s classic tools and brushes work in a VR workspace for broad form blocking out and then move back into 2.5D for high detail work.

I am so out the loop and behind on all of this. I have never tried sculpting in VR and have been quite sceptical about it but I will obviously take your word for the value of it. The seeing the whole sculpture at all times in the round is something I can understand and relate to strongly and I can imagine that it could only be fully valued and understood by directly experiencing it. VR is great at evoking scale and weight and mass. I feel it would need a re calibration with my relationship to the viewing device or monitor though. I have always thought of a computer monitor as a sketch book or easel and something I needed to frequently look away from to clear my eyes and head and keep a sense of perspective or balance. I guess it goes right back to my first feelings about making creative work in CGI where I always tried to keep one foot planted outside.

I remember Phil Tippet once saying that computers are a powerful tool but the danger always is they take the artist too far out of nature. Hence the need to look away and keep one foot planted outside the world of the screen. But perhaps VR can put some of this back in.

Anyway I have caught myself spending too much time on here. All the best.

1 Like

I’m really impressed sometime. Majority of people newer hear that Zbrush is 2.5D under hub… now people nagging about 2.5D engine, how this is issue, and so on :thinking:

Any software even very small apps can be used to make stuff for buziness work.
And no thanks i don’t need VR long session headaches and fatigue.
But sure for people that are more in VR, why not.

Exactly all features in the video are very basic features available in 3D Coat, and that any voxel app should have.
If Adobe can bring new features or advanced tools no one made already, i think this is where they cold get more traction.

Modeler is is early beta stages. Did you ever use 3Dcoat in the beta stage? No? Well I did. It wasn’t pretty, to say the least… :rofl: (in fairness, it still isn’t pretty, it has a horrendous looking UI) You’re comparing the features of a 15 or so year old fully matured program with a program that is not quite a year old. I’m sure you can see where you’re going wrong here?

Another factor is the learning curve. VR doesn’t have one. Anyone that can play a Playstation game can learn Modeler in an hour. This might not be as much of an issue for those of us fluent in many 3D programs, but there are many artists and designers who would probably never attempt 3D in something as complex as 3D Coat, but can jump into something like Modeler very easily.

Yes, good point, VR is not for everyone. Personally, I’ve been in for hours on end many times and never experienced a headache. Of course, the same could be said for staring at a 2D monitor for hours, slouched over an office chair, with RSI pains shooting through the arms…

I’m not some sort of VR evangelist, but I love that developers are exploring this avenue. It’s a very interesting concept, creating 3D artwork in a virtual environment as close to reality as you can get.

4 Likes

Like people can jump on Ipad sculping apps like Nomad, easy to use.

Whatever someone is starting on desktop or VR, he will have to learn about controlling the view whatever it is gizmos or using VR controllers.
He must learn about 3D concepts like modifiers , brushes …
VR is not magic, a beginner will have to learn all that functionnality.

There has been other easy VR and non VR sculpting apps or Medium also, it’s another category users, not the same as those doing complex models in Zbrush.
Not all people jumped on VR sculoting and stayed with it.

VR is great to quickly skecth and concept, while lacking precision compared to mouse or pen tablet, and that won’t suit lot of people.

Perhaps for level design mainly, less interesting for objects or characters.
There is other solutions perhaps that will get there like screen 3D holo projection, not same as VR, but allowing also depth perception.

Fun… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Received this in my mailbox today. You just knew this was coming, but I hoped Maxon would at least wait until the next ZBrush upgrade.

I haven’t been able to find if this 50% discount is perpetual, or lasts just one year or so. Does anyone happen to know that?

It’s also striking that the last year before the Maxon takeover, Pixologic pushed one upgrade after another, and since the Maxon takeover only one or a few minor bug fix updates have appeared.

3 Likes

This is what happens many times after some company have been acquired, they no more have money issues so they have no more minimal pressure to deliver big updates or big features as clients management and advertising is lot more managed by the buyer company.

Staying with my latest Zbrush version but using lot more 3D coat that has progressed a lot and propose all in one sculpt, retopo and paint.

4 Likes