PlantStudio for free

At the website http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/ you can download PlantStudio for free.

The description from the website:

PlantStudio Botanical Illustration Software is a tool for creating 3D plant models and 2D illustrations. PlantStudio simulates herbaceous (non-woody) plants like wildflowers and cut flowers, vegetables, weeds, grasses, and herbs using a parameter-driven simulation of plant growth and structure. You can “grow” plants over their life cycles, producing lifelike images at any age. You can design, animate and breed a wide variety of plants. By using the “evolutionary arts” of variation and selection in the plant breeder, you can quickly and easily create whole families of unique plants for your 3D scenes.

For the Registration Code look at the order page.

that soundz kewl! 8)

Tom

I’ve done this, and it works quite well…but the files it produces (dxf) are quite large.

You can save as VRML also (and several other formats including 3DS)which is great.

This could be quite a useful tool. If you take the PlantStudio model into Blender then subsurf and remove a few doubles (0.030 setting seems about right), the models generated look very nice.

Thanks for the tip, Karsten!

downloading now. should be intresting.

Thanks for the link

Dang thats prety cool. Now i can easily make complex plants. need to figure out all control. Time to make a forest. :stuck_out_tongue:

This looks very interesting and very complex:

• around 400 parameters per plant :o
  • a plant creation wizard that asks about 25 questions :o

This should be fun.

So has anyone got something nicely rendered yet? :slight_smile:

had this program for a long time now. it’s a PAIN to go through each individual piece and rem the doubles so it can subserf or even smooth the leaves. other than that it’s really great and you can regrow the plant to a different pose for some variety!

Great. No more worrying about plants.

Thanks for posting Karsten, I would have never found this otherwise! :smiley:

cheers

brian

tmtechi wrote:

had this program for a long time now. it’s a PAIN to go through each individual piece and rem the doubles so it can subserf or even smooth the leaves. other than that it’s really great and you can regrow the plant to a different pose for some variety!

There’s a button in the edit buttons to remove doubles. You don’t have to do it manually.

ya don’t say ?

but unless you save plant as one piece you must go around and select all the pieces to remove the doubles. major pain!

I downloaded the program and installed it on my PowerBook and it works great. Saving as VRML 1.0 saved a lot of bother for importing into Blender, the file size is half of .dxf and the color is saved also, removing doubles is a snap in the VRML format, select, edit mode, select all, remove doubles.
Thanks karsten