Plasma Cutter

I needed some props for my next Blender video tutorial project, which will be how to design and build your own plasma cutting / welding workstation. The first one will be a model of my Cut 50 plasma cutter.

Edit: first image will be updated as I progress.

#############################################################

My “Different Angle 3D” Blender Video tutorial course that the new plasma cutting / welding workstation tutorials will be added to can be seen >> Here << and more detais are on my web blog www.rab3d.com

2 Likes

is there one for cutting wood parts with high precision
almost like a wood CNC ?

thanks
happy bl

Hi Ricky, there’s a lot planned for the tutorial series, including the design and build of a CNC router table.

I am building the tutorials in a structured way to grow the viewers knowledge with simple projects like the hay barn and steel library to start, before moving on to the more complex stuff like designing and building a CNC router. The trouble is it takes a lot of time putting together in depth tutorials, so it won’t be any time soon when that project starts. There are more details on my >> Tutorials Page <<

Not had much time since starting this on Saturday, but managed a little bit of progress on the plasma cutter.

i will follow you tut

just saw that you did a tut on propeller
i will try it and see if it works nicely

a few people were looking for such a tut on prop
so can be useful

for the CNC do you have an idea of cost for building such a CNC
i guess this is for cutting wood not steel !
and general dimensions

thanks
happy bl

for the CNC do you have an idea of cost for building such a CNC
i guess this is for cutting wood not steel !
and general dimensions

I am trying to include a lot of design principles in the tutorials so you should be able to design whatever size you machine want to. I built one back in early 2000 when ready built stepper motor drives and linear guides were extortionately expensive, so designed my own based on an old IBM 386 computer and used whatever off cuts of aluminum I could find. It worked but the friction meant you could only operate it at very slow feed rates or it would miss steps. Back then it cost about £700 to build which was about the cost of off the shelf stepper drivers. It’s a lot cheaper to buy liner guides, ball screws, spindles and the electronics now, but you are still probably looking at £1K to £2K. I will get a better idea of size and price once I start the project.

just did the tut on prop
well made and easy to follow

only thing is where do you get the prop cross sections ?
there are so many different type of prop !

for CNC i guess it is easier to use some sort of PM motor
like stepping motors to get high precision but expensive

but wondering if it would be possible to use simpler motor like drill motor - still need some way to measure location !

definitively an interesting project - good luck

happy bl

A little more progress with the Plasma Cutter

Almost completed modelling the Plasma Cutter, Next will be materials and textures

“RickyBlender”

just did the tut on prop
well made and easy to follow
only thing is where do you get the prop cross sections ?
there are so many different type of prop !

Glad you found the tutorial useful. As for the propeller cross sections, there are quite a few links on Google searching “propeller plans”. If its for a specific airplane, its likely you will need to buy the blueprints for the plane you are modelling, if they are available.

A few basic materials and painted texture for the front panel makes such a difference. I don’t need the cables or torch/clamp for what I am using it for but might add them once the “plasma cutting/welding workstation” tutorial is recorded.

1 Like

what are the technical spec for this plasma cutter ?
like maximum cutting thickness?
speed function of thickness i guess ?
weight ?
Voltage - amps - power

it is working underwater or air or CO2 or else?

thanks
happy bl

@RickyBlender

These are generic entry level machines, okay for DIY use, but with a low duty cycle you frequently need to rest them so they don’t overheat. They use compressed air with the plasma arc and can cut up to 10mm fairly cleanly in skilled hands. The link below is one of many on ebay and lots of other shopping sites, that will give you the spec’s.

Another update, with the earth clamp added and working on the plasma torch. The difficult part will be how to get the air tube, switch wire and pilot ark wire to run inside a fireproof cloth shield.

With the cables and tube connected to the plasma torch I think I can call this one done.

for wood any chance your going to work with 4 Axis instead of 3 ?

with 4 axis can do real 3D models with 3 dimensions and not limited to 2 1/2

happy bl

You need a 5 axis machine to cut full 3D shapes with undercuts and that presents a whole new dimension of strength and stability issues for a DIY machine, not impossible though. What I am working on is a home build with fairly high precision, but using commonly available low cost DIY/hobby tools. Most home projects I have seen on YouTube have access to fairly large machine shops and very expensive precision tools like calibrated, hand scraped surface tables and straight edges .etc

I also want to use open source software, which is available to drive a 5 axis machine. However I haven’t found any open source software that can take a 3D model and produce a 5 axis cutter path.

also 5 axis would be a lot more expensive
2 more mechanical rotation

but 4 axis can still give some nice 3D and not as flexible as 5 axis!

program wise that is something else
what is best way to set path function of tool shape rotation !

very interesting

happy bl