'Plattform unsupported' message despite system requirements being met

According to the Blender system requirements, Blender 4 should work fine on my Macbook Pro Mid-2014 (yeah, I know it’s old, but I can’t afford buying a new one just now):

Running macOS 11.7.0 Big Sur
2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

However, when I try to start the software, Blender displays a message saying

Blender - Plattform unsupported
Your graphics card or macOS version is not supported
Upgrading to the latest macOS version may improve Blender support
The program will now close.

I have tried both checking and unchecking automatic graphics switching as well as installing the previous version (4.0.1) but to no avail.

Can anyone help me solve this issue? Or has anyone managed to run Blender 4 on a Macbook Pro Mid-2014 successfully?

Thanks in advance
Sibylle

1 Like

Hi, @sibylle

I am not a Mac user and never been, but from what I’ve just understood, your Macbook Pro running under Quad-Core processor, which is manufactured by the Intel, while Blender 4.0, itself, requires Apple Silicon unrder MacOS 11.7.0. Maybe that’s might be the case, dunno.

I think you can either switch to macOS 10.15 that supported by the Intel, or try installing a bit old version (3.5 for example).

Hope that helps

I have never heard of a software having a maximum limit for a certain operating system, therefore I understand this to mean ‘macOS 10.15 or newer’.

If you were right, this would also mean that on systems with Apple Silicon, Blender only runs on macOS 11.0, which would be quite silly, as we are currently on macOS 14.

I just read what it says in there.

Maybe you need to update some of your drivers.

Try to download any of other releases to see if it works

https://download.blender.org/release/

Thanks, I have 3.6 installed and that works, but I would like to upgrade to Blender 4. On a Mac, there is no option to install graphics driver updates manually, but my system is up to date.

Where did you download Blender 4.0?

Also, I’ve just found out that Blender 4.0 brings updated graphics requirements, which can be found here (scroll at the very bottom of the page).

The information is taken from here.

Seems like it won’t run because your CPU isn’t a Skylake one.

1 Like

Thanks for digging this up. So I have the wrong graphics card and my processor is too old to compensate for that. So I’ll have to wait until I can get a new machine next month :wink:

1 Like

It’s your CPU as far as I understand, namely its architecture.

No problem, have a good one :slight_smile: