Please critique my very first render "The Lost Cosmonaut"

I did! But I think the post-grain effect I added ruined it a little. But I do want to ask, what would be a good amount of samples for a photo like this? I rendered mine at 1200 samples with a denoiser.

Great composition and rim lighting, you are clearly not a beginner artist even if this is your first time rendering in Blender as a 3D software. I wonder what your render would look like with one of the panoramic camera types…

I am definitely no expert, but I am pretty sure that you could render this with about 300 Samples without getting any noticeable artifacts. You may double or triple it for glossy and transmission in branched path tracing, but again, I am no expert. Just test render it a couple of times with half or a quarter of the resolution to get a feeling for it. 1200 samples is definitely a waste of time.

But another thing I want to note on your image:
It is not very obvious that the structure in the Cosmonauts helmet is actually inside of the helmet. In fact, I thought that it was a reflection for a pretty long time, and was a bit confused when I read the comment with the space disease. One way I could think of to increase the readability of the image is to make the structure more similar to a human face (or skull), cause this is not what you would think a human lost in outer space would look like, so make the viewers understand that it is a human. Or make it actually a reflection of some kind of alien space station, wich would also create an interesting shot and make a bit more sense (and cause less sadness than a dead human).

Just one of my thoughts, the render is still very good and I recommend you keep doing this stuff, you are on a good way.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll experiment when the time comes. Thank you! :smiley:

Yeah, I had the idea to make it look like a human head but I don’t know how to do it. When I learn more about face modeling, I may just revisit this one to perfect it. Thanks for the wonderful feedback!

Thank you! Yes you’re right, I am a photographer and filmmaker professionally, So I may have transferred some skills over to the 3D world :slight_smile:

This is cool.

My first render was a glass vase … screw me

2 Likes

This is your very first 3d project? Jesus. Well, Pixar is calling, you’ve got a future. To get all those subtle details in the ice/frost. The suit looks great. The materials. The lighting. The render. Damn. I’ve been doing this 15 years, and you’ve got me beat. Cheers.

1 Like

If this was your first render then I’m quitting now, that is insane, very well done

1 Like

that’s really impressive for a first render, it seems like it came straight out of a cinematic movie poster.

only thing i would suggest is that the condensation effect on the glass visor seems to be a little unrealistic; it seems to be a little low in quality.

other than that, it looks great!

Haha thank you!

To be honest, all the new plug-ins, accessibility, simulations etc. in Blender today made it a lot easier for a newbie like me to pick up (at least that’s according to some of my friends who’s been doing this for years).

Thank you!

Yeah, I’ve only just been watching some videos and learning about using different maps to create a better texture. Will try to implement it in my next project!

Thanks for the feedback! :smiley:

1 Like