Please help me with UV-unwrapping

Before I go ahead with this, can I just clarify a couple of things?

1. Have you pulled this model from a game mod or somewhere else? Only reason I ask, it’s partly been assigned materials already and some UV unwrapping has been done.
  2. Secondly, is there a specific reason the geometry is laid out as it is? (Like if it’s from a game, they may have limits on the way geometry is laid out).
  3. It could be done more efficiently if the final place it is to be used is in Blender, if it’s for a game or something, the rules change slightly.
  4. The title says thruster, so I’m guessing you won’t ever get that close to it, so would you be bothered about the material looking the same on each small section, as that can impact the final UV layout if you want to avoid repeating. (Though if you are using AO in the material, it has to be separated anyway).
1 Like
  1. No, this is my own model. I have tried UV unwrapping and played with materials a bit (although unsuccessfully, I think)
  2. Yea, this modular thruster is for Space Engineers, and it must be a size of 1x2 building blocks. They are square-like there, like in minecraft (but with different extra forms).
  3. It is for the game. We are trying to make a mod, and modelling/texturing is on me. Coding is on another guy.
  4. Uh… I didnt get this question. You mean the UV map is not optimal?

[quote=“Messir_Astaroth, post:22, topic:1156230”]
No, this is my own model…[/quote]
Oh, right, fair enough. The size isn’t so much the thing I was thinking of, I can ensure it remains the same size, just thinking of whether the geometry had to be all separate parts. (Personall, I would of made the main bit one mesh). Basically, if Ambient Occlusion isn’t a worry, (if it’s minecraft like probably not), yes, you can use one UV map shape for repeated parts, so you can keep your map resolution down and still get plenty of detail.
What i’ll do is treat it as is, but will add a revised geometry and UVmapping in another layer so you can see if that would still work for you. Actually, I’ll re-do certain parts as it will help with hte UV mapping and I’ll show you the process. Then if it’s not what you want, you can take hte techniques and apply it to your initial geometry. I’ll match the look of the current mesh, but it will reduce the work involved.

Ok sir, thank you a lot. By the way, if ambient occlusion means dynamic and realistic lightning, then it is a worry( Space Engineers has pretty decent graphics and shadows

Nope, it’s a baked in effect on a map to indicate where something is likely to be darker due to the geometry. It’s not much use if lighting shifts anyway as then it would look odd, like having a dark corner whe na light was pointed at it. As a resuly, I don’t tend to use it apart from in still images.

Hm… ok, gotcha)

Ok, have done the videos and have a blend file with some example texture as well as the Substance Painter file & fbx. Will upload them to videos to youtube and google drive for the other stuff. Once it is all up, I will PM you with the links for the google drive stuff and put links to the videos here.

Messir - Have sent you a PM with the links to the blend files and substance painter file, I am currently uploading the videos. May be tomorrow before I can put the link to them here.

EDIT: Oops - have missed off the black basecolour, accidentally used blue. Here’s the black basecolour map you need. (Though you can re-export from SP).

Main video is up, currently uploading the second one, (applying the maps back in Blender).

Main Video:

EDIT: Second video now up: