Please help!... UV texture doesn't cover the whole face.

I am new to Blender, and I am trying to follow a tutorial on modeling + texturing. Where the final model is supposed to be a soda bottle. But for some reason, when I select the faces where the label will be on, and unwrap, the texture doesn’t span the whole face. The texture appears as a strip in the middle of the selected faces, with a gap above and below the texture. Please see the attached image below.

I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :smiley:

Does your model have a subdivision surface modifier ? This modifier can cause stretching of the mesh unless you have added additional edge loops or creasing to minimise the distortion. Turn on/off the modifier to see the change

Hi Richard, thanks a million for the tip. I did have a subdivision surface modifier on the bottle. And toggling the modifier on/off does solve the issue. But my only problem right now, is that “Use Subsurf Modifier” doesn’t seem to be working. Unless I apply the modifier, I still see the same issue. If you compare the screenshot below with the screenshot from the original post, you can see that the Subsuf Modifier split my faces into four rows. Instead of 1 row before the modifier is applied (that’s why I was getting the banding issue).

So, do I always have to apply the modifiers before UV Unwrapping? Is that the standard workflow? Is there a way around it? Thanks a lot for the help. :0)