Please recommend a movie format

I am to render my animation to Quick time but there isn’t a Quick time on the list. I did pick the .AVI which didn’t work. I got a error message in windows media player that it couldn’t play. Then I tried another program and the screen was black.
Is there a way to add quick time in blender like a plug in?
Or is there a better format I could use.
Thanks, Jacki

v2.58

use image sequence

Yeah, Jacki, Bigmanjoe is right. Rendering your animation out as an AVI is a pretty bad idea. There are several reasons for that, but simply put, it’s easier and safer to render it as PNG images into a folder, then using that in the video sequencer and making a finished vid from there.
If you want a great tutorial to show you exactly how to do that, and a lot of other things too, go to BlenderGuru and watch “How to render animation (The RIGHT Way)” Andrew can walk you through it. Good luck.

you can compile blender with or without quicktime support.
if you need quicktime support but don’t know how to build Blender, then go to graphicall.org and look for a build that includes quicktime.

I also recommend rendering to an image sequence first and using the resulting images to render a movie.

digital video is complicated.

A common settings that I use is x264 for video with mp3 192kbps for audio.

External programs will give you more options when it comes to rendering a final video from your images. For example, using ffmpeg, here is a command that will take images in the format 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, etc. and make them into an vorbis/theora .mkv file:

cd "/folder/with/image/sequence"
ffmpeg -f image2 -i %04d.jpg -vcodec libtheora -b 40000k -acodec libvorbis -ab 192k newfolder/awesomesauce.mkv

Peace!

I think you can use HD 1280x720 30 FPS MP4 Mov format.