PNG vs DDS

So I’m trying to decide how to handle images. PNGs look great, are smaller than .JPGs and are lossless. DDS are even smaller (most of the time) and are optimized for 3d rendering but are lossy and my artist is wary.

Is there a noticable difference in BGE between PNG and DDS files in terms of rendering or is mostly about raw size of file in question?

Further will using a single texture format increase rendering at all? If not it may be a texture by texture decision.

For the most part you’ll want to look at the raw image size (4MB for a 1024x1024 texture). DDS textures with DXT compression has the ability to be sent to the graphics card compressed, which saves a lot of space. However, the BGE sends DDS texture data as uncompressed, which makes it loose most of it’s benefit. I have a patch that sends compressed data though. I need to do more testing/cleaning on it before I send if off to the tracker though.

Cheers,
Moguri

I guess it depends on the amount of graphics that you are gonna use on both screen at runtime and on harddrive. Unless you are working in something too high end, I wouldn’t bother on formats that may compromise your work pipeline.

I guess it depends on the amount of graphics that you are gonna use on both screen at runtime and on harddrive. Unless you are working in something too high end, I wouldn’t bother on formats that may compromise your work pipeline.

double post