Poly Counts

I’ve been playing around with the game engine and was wondering when making characters and other resources what kind of poly counts should I shoot for. At what point does low poly become high poly.

Aim for zero faces ;).

Yes they are produce the fastest rendering.

Unfortunately it does not look nice. So you need a bit more. Nobody can tell you how many.
It is to much when the game starts lagging.

This in the other hand depends on the hardware (and software too), the number of object on and off screen, number of faces, type of materials, screen size and other time eating resources.

So nobody can give you an exact number.

A common recommendation is to go for 10000 faces on detailed characters, and less on any other, much less on scene filling objects. Avoid semi-transparency as much as you can.

mmhh , tecnically i guess there a definition for good low poly , something as the angle should be ever less than 90° .and you have to see ever 3 faces, not 2. this should be a good low poly.
ie : a cube is a bad low poly .

My rule of thumb (for my games):

1000-2000 main character/vehicle/whatever your game is about
500-1000 enemies/other characters/vehicles/whatever your game is about
300-800 props and placables

10000 terrain/environment chunk
(100000 complete environment with chunks and placables)

afaik ,as performances one obj static can have pretty many poly , the problem , as performances , is give by:

high poly for animated mesh (chartacter) (also few obj so)
high number of obj mesh (as 5000 simple cubes)

You asking a static answer for a fluid question,

what is your target audience? serious gamers? how far away is your camera? what angle?

Isometric can have WAY less polygons on one side, if they are locked on a set of view angles (think of a 3d sprite)

another method, that I am not sure if it has ever been explored, is having a MASSIVE(vertex wise) plane, that all objects are displacement maps and color maps, combined to “displace” plane that is the view… this way no matter how complex the scene, there is always X vertices and once objects are X distance they become 2d sprites with no displacement and faked lighting, but I don’t know how to do all the math for something like that… and lighting would be done with math… that I can’t even think about at the moment…

my “component” models, that are baked down with normal maps are 300 faces max,
and have ALOT of detail, I am more logic coder / python almost, and Rough animator, and learning 3d modeler…

Pm akira_b
ask him for a little help,
he is GrrrrrrrrrrR8 :slight_smile: