Polygon Limit For Organic Models

Hi everyone, I was wondering what would you consider a polygon limit for organic models? I have heard that some models use millions of polygons. I would like to get an understanding of how many polygons are considered too little or too much because I just don’t know.If it has too little polygons then it’s not going to look smooth and if it has too many polygons than it’s a huge waste of space. How many polygons do you limit yourself to in an organic model and if you can please give me a number of how many polygons you set as your limit. To give you an idea I think that 1500 polygons is a bit high. How accurate is that?

Any help would be appreciated

That depends if it’s a model to be used in a realtime rendered game or if it’s a viral video or if it’s a professional cinema production.
And even then it depends on the situation, how much detail is visible. I suppose for all purposes though, if it looks too blocky, you haven’t got enough. If it looks good and render times are still acceptable, then it’s about right.

I have been doing some research and found that most models typically range from around 4000-7000 polygons. How high can polygons get before you run into some lag issues in blender?

I have been doing some research and found that most models typically range from around 4000-7000 polygons
It wholly depends on what you are going to use the model for, in real time game, for animation, for a still render. Read post 2 again.

How high can polygons get before you run into some lag issues in blender?
Do some more research. Download a model, try it in blender, make it higher res, try again, make it higher res, try again etc.

The number of poly may be low on your system, it may be very high, you have your computer in front of you, it’ll most likely be very different to mine and to someone elses. Therefore, there is no single answer

When you can distinguish single polygon on final render then it’s low :eyebrowlift: