Pookalam (Onam 2022)

Gave a shot at CGI ‘Pookalam’

Pookalam is a popular ritual in Kerala(India), where I am from. Its a traditional patterned-decoration using flowers and leaves. Done as a part of Onam festival celebrations.
Thought of doing a CGI one this time (though I am posting it quite late, as Onam was last week😅).
Pookalam2k22

Done in blender 3.2 completely. Photoshop for a mild post-processing.

7 Likes

Pretty. Onam is what, a harvest festival?

Now I am curious how people make these pookalam in real life – do they construct them geometrically? This looks amazingly precise.

And what are those truncated pyramidal objects in the centre of the leaf?

Hope you don’t mind the curiosity. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, you certainly achieved an image that looks like it is a real scene. Beautifully done.

1 Like

Happy to get you curious :sweat_smile:
You guessed it right, its a harvest festival, celebrated in Kerala. And by mythology, this is the only day King Mahabali(his spirit) visits Kerala every year, who once ruled Kerala but was unjustly pushed/punished by Vamana (an incarnation of Vishnu) to netherworld/hell, because other Gods feared his growth as a king (this is the short version).
Those pyramids as far as I know represents Vamana, but some believe it as a representation of Mahabali too.

Pookalam is not always geometrical, but yes most of its outer area/shape would be patterned and centre part is modified according to people’s creativity, some have boat, some have coconut tree, some Mahabali, etc, all made of flowers and leaves only. Practically, when people make them, they mark/draw their pattern on floor/area with a chalk and then add in flowers on top.

1 Like

Thanks. Thats what I was going for, realism :grin:
Didn’t have time to build the surrounding structure(as Onam was last week already), so used real pics as background plates.

I looked at some images of pookalam, and there’s a lot of gorgeous artwork.

Thanks for taking the time to explain!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like