Poor UI performance with 2.80-2c347ebbba9

My Ubuntu 4.18.0-11-generic x86_64 laptop has wimpy Intel UHD Graphics 620 integrated graphics. I’ve tried 2.80 alphas before and they seemed usable. With 2.80-2c347ebbba9, I can’t get through a simple eevee tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA5M8dhILiQ. Whenever I do anything in the viewport, there are sometimes big lags (like 3s) to redraw, even for the default cube. Is this due to bugs in the current blender snapshot or will blender require a more powerful graphics card from now on?

Bugs bugs and more bugs…Blender is becoming quite unstable these days, because Devs are making lots of changes these days so better wait for the first beta to report your problem. If you can you should roll back to your last working version. Probably someone notices your problem and commit a fix, but who knows at this stage.

I infer from your answer that Blender should run fine on my wimpy hardware from modestly complex models. Is this correct?

it depends how much poly count you have in your scene, generally a normal laptop will support a few million polygon, for eevee you need a dedicated graphic card ( nvidia or amd ) you wont go far with the integrated chipset of intel

1 Like

Blender runs fine on my I7-4790K with an intel HD 4600 thats around 40-60% slower than your integrqated video chip. What i mean is that using Blender right now for anything resembling “production” is a really bad idea because right now Blender is UNSTABLE, and like happened in your case, wouldn’t work as expected. And in your case, the slowdowns probably are a bug.

2 Likes

It seems to be a general issue with Eevee and Intel (U)HD 620/630 GPU’s: Intel HD Graphics 620 don’t work with Eevee

Incidentally, I have both GPU’s available and they are both rubbish. Blender 2.80 is just unworkable. For now, I’d stick with 2.79.

Hi, as 2.8 is now beta you can report it as bug.
Bugtracker is flooding since beta published but iirc Clement was working on HD 630 problems some time ago.

Cheers, mib

This problem is very close to being solved, https://developer.blender.org/T57455#563462

Yay!

1 Like

From what I can read it’s fixed now. I’m only wondering how long it will take for those changes to be committed to the code used for nightly builds.

It’s not in today’s build (Dec 02), but very likely to be included tomorrow.

1 Like

The Dec 3 build fixed it.

:dancer: