I am looking at buying a portable usb2 external harddrive. I am getting flooded with reviews, and more reviews, etc. about which drives are the best. So I thought I would ask on the forums to see if anyone had suggestions as to what drive I should look at getting. It needs to be a reliable, quiet, and fast drive.
I’ve been mainly looking at drives with the following specs.
- USB2.0 and USB1.1 compliant (nice if was Mac and PC compatible as I have iMacs here at school).
- 9ms or < 9ms seek time
- 7200rpm(preferred) or 5400rpm.
- small and light and cool operating temps. It would be nice if it was shock resistant. Needs to be reasonably portable.
- Relies soley on USB power…ie no external power source. Perfectly fine if it has 2USB adapters to get power.
- 60-80+ Gb.
- Must have at least 8MB cache.
- under $120So far my research has pointed me to a 60Gb FireLite drive and a Maxtor 60Gb OneTouch III Mini.
I would be using the drive in place of a USB Flash drive.
PS. I am a poor college student now and my budget is under $120 (unless it is worth the money to $130).