Portal 2 E3

Simply incredible, cant wait :smiley:

some gameplay videos:
(Warning, some spoilers)
Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THiN8szSKM&playnext_from=TL&videos=dMeT7a81RKI&feature=sub
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2mZoKkqMw&playnext_from=TL&videos=55wUbA6GRMQ&feature=sub
Part3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlyQmmvj0w&playnext_from=TL&videos=u9Btbka1bsQ&feature=sub

Daymmmmmmā€¦ Iā€™ve been looking forward to portal 2, looks like theyā€™re not going to disappoint.

The only thing that could be a problem is whether all the new mechanics will just end up overwhelming players. The original portal was very good at giving an introduction to using new mechanics before they gave you difficult puzzles. I just hope the new portal doesnā€™t lose that introduction and they keep the same sort of difficulty curve. Also hopefully there wonā€™t be too many where you have to fire off portals very quickly and accurately, that was a bit of an annoyance in the original and would probably end up being frustrating on consoles.

Trailer looks very nice, although the voice of glados doesnā€™t seem as sinister. Still, looking forward to this a lot, itā€™s nice theyā€™re bringing it to consoles too, portal was definately one of my favourite games of all time.

yay ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Whoa, thanks for posting this.

Portal 2 looks like the best thing since sliced bread - As I said in that Halo thread: Itā€™s the only game Iā€™m waiting for.

Yea, I think the ā€œbeamsā€ are a good addition, along with that vacuum thing, but the ā€œgelsā€ seem a little too much.

PS:

It looks like all the lighting is now being done in real-time; I think portal 1 was mostly light-maps.

Anyone have some definitive information on this?

Iā€™ve heard that rumoured on the steam forums. I wouldnā€™t be suprised if it was since theyā€™re constantly updating and improving the engine - They added HDR to portal a while back iirc. I donā€™t mind the look either way, Portal had a nice style which suited the gameplay, provided I donā€™t have bloom shaders blinding me which I try and work out what to do Iā€™m happy :smiley:

I pretty much agree that the vacuum and beams are nice additions, thereā€™s a logic to them. The gels donā€™t seem to suit it and seem a bit out of place. I get the impression they added it because the technology looks impressive.

Itā€™s the only game Iā€™m really waiting for too, looking at the new medal of honour Iā€™m starting to get tired of all the many identical fpsā€™ all based on the same engine with pretty much the same dynamics.

Iā€™m going to buy this as soon as it comes out, cantā€™ wait.

@ Social

Have you seen the trailer for Force Unleashed 2? If the game graphics are anything like the cinematic, then sliced bread needs to bow down in awe!!!

Portal 1 was confusing, demented, and bizarreā€¦ but i loved it!! Although, I had to cheat to winā€¦ :slight_smile:

I think we can put our differences behind usā€¦ for scienceā€¦ you monsterā€¦

hahaha Iā€™m glad to see that they are keeping the humor in it as well. It was one of my favorite elements from the first one

Those in game fluid sims where amazing. Cant wait for the game.

When I say that Portal 2 ā€œlooks like the best thing since sliced breadā€, Iā€™m not just talking about graphics - Iā€™m talking about the game overall.

Hell, Crysis 2 is still king of the hill, in my opinion, as far as graphic realism goes, but itā€™s not really as important as good story/gameplay/mechanics etc.

Portal 1 was mostly light-maps, but I still consider it to be a better game than something like Crysis.

As for the old ā€œStar Warsā€ stuff: Itā€™s like beating a dead horse now - Jedi, light-sabers, and so on - other than trite story variations, there is really nothing much to see in any of these star wars games (including Force Unleashed 2).

It think the ā€œgelsā€ were just a bunch of soft-body meshes, set to stamp splat decals on colliding surfaces.

Iā€™m still trying to figure out if theyā€™re using all dynamic lighting, or if itā€™s just some sophisticated real-time + light-map mix.

@social

dude im talking graphics wise, lucas arts has seriously raised the bar. It basically impossible to tell that the charaters are not live action filmā€¦ As for the beating a dead horse comment, i somewhat agree.

However, the right amount of certain things like story, and gameplay can make it better.

Either way, i cant wait for portal 2

Drool Drool Drool