Portrait of Ernest

Yes Its leonardo from KOTFM but i wasnt going for a complete likeness! In fact i wanted to take the emotion in this scene and really exaggerate it; i wanted the eyes to be more evil, the smile to be menacing and the pose/ bust to be succinct… The character in the film is called Ernest, which is ironic, as some of his dealings are not… I also really wanted to showcase the more snake-like side of Ernest so I made sure to light the scene with a more harsh lighting scheme and i also really wanted to show off the contrast which isnt something you normally see in portraits. But again given the character i really wanted the lighting to exaggerate the evil and hidden tendencies of Ernest the character and not Leonardo the actor…

All of this was pretty much raw sculpted from scratch; i didnt use any fancy pants tricks or crazy secrets; the hair alone took 10 hours to sculpt! The bust, eyes and suit were made using basic hardsurface techniques and everything else,like i said, was raw sculpted from either a basic shape or an extrusion… The goal here was to capture, exaggerate and learn about the facial expressions and even though theres some things i would change like the amount of sclera seen on the top of the eyes or the skin around the smile etc i had to call it done because this was supposed to be a quick sculpt! The hardest part was sticking with sculpting the hair as it took a while and also trying to find a somewhat pleasing base design… I think it could be better but yeah, i had to call it done at some point!

I hope you enjoyed seeing the sculpt and if you have any suggestions or crits i would certainly like to hear them!

Total sculpt time ~39 hrs!?!?!

P.S.

The white resin material is from the standard blenderkit pack (plastic resin) and the clay material is just a standard blender material made to look clay(ish) by me; i spent maybe 10 seconds making it, so nothing special here, haha.

16 Likes

39 hours! Wow! That’s a lot
But the work turned out cool, I definitely like it.

1 Like

Hey, thanks!

Yeah, i certainly took way more time with this portrait but it has more action, emotion and movement than the ones i normally do so i went back and forth on a few things here and there which really upped the sculpt time including detailing the hair by hand and not using any alphas to help with that… Its more of a practice piece for the works im planning on doing next!

The details are superb from any angle.

1 Like

Really great sculpt! A lot of work put into one piece. Do you plan to texture it in future?

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks Euv! I tried to make sure it looked good from every angle as it wasnt a quick sketch. And i also tried to balance some things like the suit for example which has almost no detail while the hair and face has all the detail and attention, so i was experimenting a little with harmonising elements throughout the sculpt…

Thanks pelka! I reecently did a few texture works and portraits which you can check out but i dont think this one is goin to be textured… But given that i do like the pose and craziness of the character it could be something worth checking out down the line! (dont hold your breath, though, haha)

1 Like

Awesome Bartv, thanks!

1 Like