Portrait of my niece

Attempting likeness of my niece. Made mostly in Blender, except skin detailing in ZBrush, and some texture painting in Substance Painter. Built on Chris Jones’ Universal Human rig; might make an animation loop at a later time.

87 Likes

Nice, what does your niece think of it?

1 Like

Just finished this half an hour ago. I’m curious to hear that, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice face. Very realistic child! :+1:

2 Likes

I would call that photorealism.

3 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you all for kind your comments! There is some more info about this work on my Artstation page.

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Truly amazing! :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

WOW… So Realistic :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think the eyes look a little dry/CG still. Putting in a tearline/glossy/bumpy overlay on the eyeball might help.

But great work overall!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! I agree that the eyes could use a more wet look. Do you think it’s more the border between eyeball and eyelid+lacrimal that’s the problem, or equally all of the sclera area?

I always love to see portraits that are not made by-the-book. I think it is always a plus, going for “real life” instead of photorealistic, if this even makes sense. It takes at least one more step away from the uncanny valley.
Also the beast-hat fur is perfect. (mind to share how you did it?)
Great work!

1 Like

Who needs to make kids when you can make anybody’s kids. Really good render

1 Like

Great stuff. Lucky child… in my time we have only 2D photos… sometime in color :wink:

2 Likes

Not even joking, this is genuinely the most photorealistic human portrait I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

I think it’s the whole eye that could do with some added wet look. A little bit of this perhaps: https://www.todaysparent.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/eye-drops-qa-istock-jordan-chesbrough.jpg
Irregular, bumpy and very noticeable in the corners.

1 Like

Great work Samuli. Did you also use Chris Jones " Universal Human Skin Shader"?

That’s a nice reference – although at some point it starts looking like the model is crying :slight_smile: I find how wet the eye looks depends heavily on lighting, and the best look requires tuning based on the lighting setup. The existing tearline is made using geometry nodes, and I think I’ll try going one step further and make it cover also lacrimal and especially the area where it meets sclera, again using geometry nodes.

1 Like

High praise, thanks!