portrait

Wow. Fantastic looking… and I love his expression.

Five stars from me.

Thanks, I will try that.

Perhaps you migth find this offensive but with only a bit of Spanish (perhaps ninety days of study off and on) I was able to tell for the the most part what to do and how to do it.

Thank you for this tutorial and nice work on the portrait.
-albert

Don’t know if this helps. I just used Googles language tools. Seems to do a good job.

http://www.google.com.au/language_tools?hl=en

Site translated: (French to English)
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fterrier.infographie.free.fr%2Fwork%2Ftuto_portrait%2Findex.htm&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

awesome…thanks a lot for the tutorial too.

Check this out!!! Google just translated it for me in about 3 seconds!

Here’s the English tutorial!

That’s amazing huh!?

Edit: oops. Sorry, didn’t realise Kordo had already said that.

great, 4.5 stars.

I see your problem: you need eyelashes, and around the eyes needs to be darker, with the slight folds of skin since the eyes are open.

really nice indeed. i’m not seeing very much spec. at all though…?

Wooow !!! oO

Your work is truly outstanding !! Félicitations !

And thanks for the great tuto, I’ve bookmarked it for later use. But I assume that even with a good tuto it’s not as easy. Making the texture must be really hard too, even with photos.

Good work :wink:

I didn’t notice the missing eyelashes the first time, but now that you mention, it, ya that would be a great improvement.

Means dealing with the deadly particles / hair guides or something I guess… which I’d be very interested in learning more about :slight_smile:

Mike

Very very good. Others have pointed out some Small issues that are true.
One thing I would like to ask is did you model each side of the head differently? If you cut a photo in two then mirror the different sides you have two different looking people, as we are not at all symetrical.
It may be the lack of these natural human flaws that makes something look nqr. A common mistake in many cg works, that lead to models looking too real.
Anyway, this is one of the best ‘Portraits’ I have seen.
Stunning. You could easily enter this into an art/portrait competition and win! 5 stars.

Good job!

I’m most impressed by the fibre though. ^^

I would like to help translating your tutorial, but unfortunatelly I don’t have any knowledge of French.

However, I think that with a bit of help from this comunity and with the google version, I think that I can put together an english translation. I’m going to open a wiki page tomorrow, so I can work on it little by little, and other people can join in too. I’m going to use the CGtalk wiki instead of the yafray wiki, so any blender user registered in cgtalk can help.

Regards.

This tutorial is fantastic as well…

One part of it doesn’t translate as well though. Am I understanding correctly that you use actual photos to texture the model? Interesting if that’s so.

Wow! thank’s again of your many and very constructive opinions about this job, it’s great! :o :slight_smile:
I’ll try to answer at the maximum of questions and suggestions posted in this topic.

For the texture, yes, I used several photos of face parts assembled in photoshop, to have a maximum of skin détails in the color map. at start, I used a screenshot of UVmap model, then place all the skin patchs step by step and merge it to have linear ensemble.

http://terrier.infographie.free.fr/work/tuto_portrait/panotext.gif

For the lips and ear, maybe I can work more finely at the details, instead of simple bump map for the lips and eyelids, I’ll try using displacement map, it would be better.

I’ve do eyelashes, it’s visible in the tutorial, but I recognized it’s not really visible in the scene. At start, I prefered use a lowpoly modeling with subsurf to simplify the tweaking work, but for the best placement of hairs, lashes and eyebrows it’s not the best solution,
I think it’s better to apply the subsurf, and work directly with highpoly model for the hair implants.

A good suggestion about face symmetry, I’ve already think about this, and for the modeling it’s more easy to have two symmetrical parts, But I’ll think to work to real expression with the shape keys. Not for anim (10 years to render it! :rolleyes: ), but to have collection of several expressions and phonems, and more asymmetric’s and real topology than a simple doll’s mod without expressions.

For the direction of the eyes, it’s a trackto->empty function, but now you said it, OK, I think it’s better to place the Empty further that that. (it’s the special effect “fly on the nose” :smiley: )

thank’s again to all of your’s, for your glance and comments.

Regards :wink:
Alt.

Well, I’ve started, a bit messy atm. I’m going to include images the coming days. Feel free to colaborate:

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Portrait

Thank’s a lot for this :slight_smile: , I try to help you for this job, do not hesitate has to ask me if you want to complete some stages of this tuto, or if something is not clear.
At start, it’s more report than tutorial, so maybe one or more points can be confused for some people.

Truly am impressed! the skin seems a little dry though… Ever think about lighting it with Just an HDRI?

At start, it was, but my opinion has 3 point lighting + skydome, look better for volumétrics, even if the render seem less real than just .hdr map (better to for render time. Here, Hdri map was just used for reflexion!) :wink:

Moved to the gallery.

BgDM