Possible Idea for the Open Source Community

Hello everyone!

I have been thinking of this idea for some time…I posted it orginially at Anim8or.org, and I wonder what you guys have to say about it.

A 3D MMORPG-like Community.

Basically, 3D world based of the worlds of Anim8or/ReAnim8ed/Eylsiun, where users can roam and interact in a interactive enviroment with custom or stock built 3D meshes, using IRC style chat, via keyboard and text bubbles, for starters, and voice sometime in the future.
This world would not be available for everyone, understandably, especially dial-up/slow PC users. Let me explain how this would work when finially complete, since i’m not much of a programmer:

(Miranda is a new user).

1. Miranda wants to join the 3D community. She goes to the ReAnim8ed webportal, and downloads the ReAnim8ed3D Client Software (~55MB).

2. Once the download is complete, she installs the application, and loads into the world. At first, she is presented with a 2D GUI, where she must sign up into the 3D community. Similar to signing up here.

3. Once signed in, she is presented with the “World Assistance and Monitoring Center”…also a 2D GUI featuring:

• A phpbb style board where she can interact with the world administrators when she needs help, and can’t access the 3d world yet. Also serves as a area to fall back on should the 3D world fail for some reason.
  • A status center where she can check up on the real time status of the server and the game.
  • A Welcome Presentation, where she would be introduced on how to enter the 3D community, as well as on the rules and regulations.

Miranda would then click to view the Welcome Presentation.

1. The presentation would explain to Miranda the processes of how to create her own mesh for use in the world, as well as how the world’s “society” works. She would also be directed to the area on her HD were the documentation and template files for creating her character so that she could refer to them.

2. Miranda would load up Anim8or, Blender, Wings3D, Lightwave, or whichever, to build her character, following a skeleton template, and a list of guidelines that she must adhear to. (like accepable model sizes, content, texture sizes, formats, etc. I will explain the 3D content later).

3. Once her character is finished, she would return to the client software, and upload her mesh into the system. The Admin staff will evaluate the mesh, and if it passes inspection, will be loaded into the game. Her account will then be “attacted” to the mesh, and she will be admitted into the world.

4. Once in the game, Miranda would be presented with a user CP that’s similar to a standard PHPBB CP, but in addition, she will be able to make edits to her appearance. For example, she would be allowed to have 3 meshes she can choose from, as well as slots for 10 different items or objects, as well as changing the appearance of her text bubble.

5. Once she’s all set, she would be ready to interact with the 3D community in real time!

Models/Meshes

The game engine could work primarily on .an8, .blend, or some altogether new format of models. The max polycount of these models would be determined by the game engine. Also, there would be a set minimum and maximum height and size, as well as limits to how revealing, or what textures a character could display (no nudity, no pro-Nazi slogans, no fundamentalist dogma, etc, etc.) Also, the Client software would ship with a template skeleton setup that each character would use. Advanced users can customize or add more bones to that setup, engine permitting. There would also be a set texture map format and size.

There will also be several defined animation states.

3 Stationary
Walking
Running
Kneeling
Jumping
2 Specialty Poses
3 Aux Poses

The basic poses could be automatically provided if the user chooses not to animate their own. Those who do will have to follow set animation lengths and content rules (no sexual advances…no Nazi salutes…etc…)

Once the model and it’s animations are done, the files would be uploaded to the system. Admins would evaluate the content, and if it passes the technical and content based rules, would be allowed into the game.

The World

The “Diamond City” would be similar to a large city. The different “boards” here on the standard forum would equal to different “buildings” in Diamond City. There could also be “apartments” or “subdivisions”, where members could “live”, and where they would start off when they load into the world.

There could also be interactive games members could play…they could also watch streamed videos from WIPs, or static image WIPs, or view rotating 3D WIP models, where one could interactively make crits and demonstrate modeling techinques.
(“Clubs”, theaters, and etc come to mind…)

Also don’t forget weather effects.

And that’s just the beginning. Several secondary worlds could also be added on in addition to the primary Diamond City.

That’s pretty much the idea. I posted it here since more or less similar to a game. It was received pretty well at Anim8or as a great idea, however, not many had the skills to attempt to pull this off. However, this could be a great open source project overall. Just tell me what you think!

Thanks
[/list]

:smiley: Wow, sounds like something I would love to try out.

:-? Big problem though… do you have the skills to pull this off? It’s a really huge project, that’ll take a considerable large amount of time. You’d have to virtually code your own GE to accomplish all this. The Blender GE would definitely not be able to pull this off currently. :frowning: It doesn’t allow you to load in models/animations from other .blend files. So only whatever is included in the .blend or .exe is all you have.

Well… I wish you luck on making this a reality.

Jason Lin

:smiley: Thanks!

Yeah…lol, I said in the first post that I wasn’t much of a programmer. My skills aren’t anywhere near whats needed to pull this off, lol! But thats still not a reason not to share the idea.

I just posted this so that it would be out there for people to think about. It doesn’t nessisarily have to be made with the Blender GE, but instead, could be artistically developed using Blender and the Blender community and others. The way I see it, it doesn’t seem too much harder than doing a MMORPG (however hard that is, lol).

This could be a great open source project, I think. However, i’ve seen alot of the “good idea-code it yourself” attitude in the Linux and open source community all too much, which I think turns non-programmers away from bothering to give ideas and is hypocritcal to the entire “friendly community” theme of it all–but thats not the topic here, lol!

I would be a cube lol.

The general policy is:

“If you want help on something, than do something yourself first”

We have all seen too many “I have a great idea for a project” posts, made by people who “can’t do much” but want the credit. They all think that they (and their various ideas) are somehow more special, or even better than the ideas of game developers who actually posses a skillset, and are usually much smarter people to begin with.

How about trying to sit down with blender and learn a thing or two, before you post every other thing that pops into your head.

that would be awesome but it would take a loooooong time…

i would definatly use it though

However, i’ve seen alot of the “good idea-code it yourself” attitude in the Linux and open source community all too much, which I think turns non-programmers away from bothering to give ideas and is hypocritcal to the entire “friendly community” theme of it all

There’s really no hypocrisy there. Open source development is first and foremost software development. Friendliness isn’t what drives it, people actually developing software is what drives it.

Like Social said, both in software development and in, say, filmmaking, ideas are really a dime a dozen. Anybody can say “wouldn’t it be cool to have a virtual 3D world” or “wouldn’t it be cool to have a movie that blew Lord of the Rings away” or “Wouldn’t it be cool to put a man on Mars”.

The great thing about something like Blender and open source software is that it puts the tools to realize your ideas in your own hands. So now there’s no more excuse just to have ideas, you don’t need to pitch them to a studio, you just need to roll up your sleeves and get to it. That may be why people have a lowish tolerance for “just ideas” posts.

So, the question is, do you think this idea is a good enough idea for somebody to work hard to acquire the skills to get it started?

Hate to break it to you guys, but cowdude just brought back a dead thread, and you got sucked in.

Also, these type of 3D chat programs already do exist (IMVU and There are two examples).

wait i didnt look at the date… it’s still a good idea anyway

haha… serves social right.

Ideas are a good starting point and should not be critisized… instead how about saying “Go for it! start here: cplusplus.com (or some other site with a tutorial) … if you have any troubles understanding drop me a pm.”

(actually, I have only a very small knowledge of c++, don’t pm me questions because I can’t answer them)

haha… serves social right.

Ideas are a good starting point and should not be critisized… instead how about saying “Go for it! start here: cplusplus.com (or some other site with a tutorial) … if you have any troubles understanding drop me a pm.”

Well, uh, what he actually said was:

How about trying to sit down with blender and learn a thing or two, before you post every other thing that pops into your head.

Which to me sounds like pretty much the same thing. Maybe a little less nurturing, but come on. This is the world wide web. You can’t expect everybody to be your father figure.

First of all:

The date of this thread doesn’t change the validity of the facts that both I and bugman_2000 presented. It doesn’t matter because the criticism given is still applicable today, so I have no idea what your trying to imply when you say “serves social right”, since you didn’t prove me wrong in any set aspect of the statements I provided.

Second:

Did you even read the initial post? That guy wasn’t asking “Hey I want to LEARN how to make my own MMORPG, can you tell me where to start”. He just said “Hey, this is my idea for a game, what do you think?”. Now if he just did that, all would be fine, but he didn’t. He went on to label the Open Source community as being “unfriendly” just because no one would do all the work for him.

Maybe next time you’ll try to read things through first, instead of jumping the gun and making yourself look like a dummy.

Serves “you” right.

Finally, someone who understands that concept.

I actually got accused of “noob hazing” a while ago, when I told a newcomer that I wouldn’t download anything if he didn’t put up screenshots first.

hazing is fun…