Post FX | Next Level Compositing

Hi everyone,

I just released a new addon called Post FX that enhances and extends Blender’s Compositor.

Post FX is the ultimate post production addon with 40+ new tools and controls.
Gain access to features such as: Color Calibration, Vibrance, Levels, Lens Flares and much more!

Includes an easy to use Layer System + powerful Pie Menu for experts.
Create any custom pipeline in seconds without touching a single node connection!

Post FX Adjustment Tools:

Color Calibration
calibration

Post FX Effect Tools:

Flare Builder

Post FX Filter Tools:

UI Layer System (Simple):

• Simple Stack Functionality
  • Add, remove, replace and shift nodes
  • Dynamic property panel
  • Live preview output

demolayers

Pie Menu (Advanced):

• Access rapid pipeline workflow
  • Instantly add, connect and displace any Post FX node
  • Procedural textures + Coordinate inputs
  • 1 click output linking

Want to try before you buy?
The free version includes 6 new tools (Enhanced Brightness, Enhanced Contrast, Punchy BW, Sepia, Vignette and Symmetry) + all base functionality!
See this post for more detail.

BlenderMarket: https://blendermarket.com/products/post-fx
Gumroad: https://thatimster.gumroad.com/l/postfx

6 Likes

how is the workflow with image layers and in 3.2 light groups?

1 Like

So for light groups as for other inputs (e.g. noisy image) you just need to correct the input connection. The rest of the flow is identical.

An example of this:

1. Add a render layer node, choose appropriate view layer etc.

2. Select your first adjustment:

3. Correct the input:

4. Re-select the first adjustment and continue adding any others to the chain

If you want to mix multiple light groups together, just repeat from step 2 and correct the input.
For multiple view layers, this is easier since you can just add a new render layer node and the image output is automatically connected to the first adjustment.

Hope this answers your question, let me know if I missed anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This looks quite cool! I’m not using the compositor that much though mostly because of the slow speeds, so if you’d have a go at fixing that as well I’d probably buy this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Poor compositor speed is also an issue I faced, but I managed to solve it by tweaking the performance settings.
Post FX will automatically set these optimal values without you needing to do anything (unless you turn auto optimization off).

That being said though, I don’t think it’s fair to make people buy an addon just for a bunch of performance settings so here are the optimal settings Post FX uses:

Some explanations:

• Edit = Medium: Low is obviously better performing but problematic when dealing with alpha values
  • Chunksize = 128: This plays a big role in how fast you see results in the compositor. Sizes lower than this cause more overhead and sizes larger than this lack responsiveness. Keep in mind this is based on a 4 core i7700 laptop CPU, so if you have higher core counts, lower chunk-sizes might work better.
  • OpenCL = True: Apparently uses the GPU but I didn’t notice much of a performance increase. I keep it enabled assuming it affects other performance parameters.
  • Buffer Groups = True: Hands down the MOST effective setting! This can reduce composite times from 10 seconds to 1 second. Obviously you have to let the compositor run 1 pass to buffer the groups, but after this first pass, the output speed becomes incredibly quick. The downside? You need to use (static) node groups. Post FX already does this out of the box, so without doing anything you should already have better performance than if you added the same nodes directly to the compositor tree!

Obviously I cannot promise that these settings, will give you the best performance everytime and some adjustment for your own machine might be required, but in general they worked well for me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey @Thatimster, would it be possible to make this addon work with textures in the Shader Editor? You got here some features I would love to use there too :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the moment the nodes are only compatible with the compositor, but in the future a Shader Editor extension could be possible. This would come with some limitations though (node tree size, no previews, blurring etc.) that are not present in the compositor.

That being said, here is an easy work around for using Post FX output in the Shader Editor:

1. Add your texture to the compositor input, set color management to standard
  2. Match render size with texture size
  3. Add your desired adjustment at 100% Strength (e.g. Clarity)
  4. Render and save
  5. Load the new texture into the Shader Editor, along with the original texture
  6. Combine the two using a mix color node. Adjust to match desired intensity.

This way you can also permanently enhance textures, without needing to add the same adjustments everytime you open a new Blender file :slight_smile:

PostFX v1.2 has been officially released!

The entire workflow has been reworked to include a brand new UI Layer System. This makes setting up a new compositing pipeline possible for users of all skill levels, even without prior knowledge of the compositor.

Features:

• Simple Stack Functionality
  • Add, remove, replace and shift nodes
  • Dynamic property panel
  • Instant image saving
  • Visibility Controls
  • Create a pipeline directly from the image editor

A new Hue Saturation Luminosity node has also been introduced, replacing the previous Saturation node. Advantages compared to the default HSV node:

• 2D Hue manipulation (HSV only 1D)
  • Improved saturation (better color balancing and reduced clipping)
  • Access to Luminosity (HSV only allows access to raw pixel value)

Also included are a few bug fixes + improvements along with an updated user manual!

Enjoy :slight_smile:

PostFX v1.3 has been officially released!

Included in this release is a new Selective HSL node to help you create surreal mono + single color artwork!

Also included are a few bug fixes + improvements along with an updated user manual!

Enjoy :slight_smile:

PostFX v2.0 is here! :partying_face:

• New Free version available to try!
  • New Color Calibration tool (like in Lightroom)
  • New Double Exposure tool
  • New Rim Flare and Ghosts
  • New 9 Filters
  • New Fringing node
  • New Tint node
  • New Temperature node
  • Layers UI now accessible in the image editor
  • Preferences maintain values when opening a new file
  • Multiple fixes and improvements
  • Improved description / gallery
  • Updated Documentation

Original post has been updated to reflect the new changes, check for more info and images!

Free and Full versions of the addon are now also available from Gumroad!

What’s included in the free version?

Better Brightness

Better Contrast

Better B+W

Sepia

Vignette (with dual axis control)

Symmetry

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’ve just released v2.1 of PostFX with updates for both the free and the full version!

Updates for the Free version:

• New Free Nodes: Radial Blur + Tint

• Better automatic property refreshing and state management

• Enhanced view port compositor capabilities

• Updated Documentation

Updates for the Full version:

Enjoy!

1 Like