Posting on Instagram

Hi there Blender community!

How does one upload their blender 3d animations in high quality for Instagram? Thank you!

-Mike

Is there anything specific you’re having problems with? You should be able to just render out the video, and then upload it.

Hey there Mike, welcome to our community!

I’m not sure what you’re asking for, but can assume that the answer is in output settings in Blender.

As you can see above, we have options there like “Video Codec”, “Output Quality”, “Encoding Speed” etc. which is all straightly affecting on the final quality of a rendered video.

According to Instagram video upload requirements, it says:

Bare in mind that high quality settings in Blender may take a long time for rendering your video, depend on your system hardware.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers!

Hi, thanks for your reply! No, I guess like in General after posting my 3d renders on IG, I’m not satisfied with how it looks. IG compresses the video making it look downgraded in quality. (Please see the attached photos), the one on the top is how it originally looks, and the bottom is how the animation looks on IG. Poor right?

Thank you for your response! My settings for those 3 you mentioned are: Video Codec - H.264, Output Quality - Perceptually Lossless, and Encoding Speed - Good. Please see the attached photos. These were the results. The top is how it originally looks after exporting from Blender, which is nice. THen the bottom photo shows how it looks after uploading to IG which is terrible. Please let me know your thoughts

Hmm, yeah I see what you mean. Twitter, Instagram etc… are notorious for poor quality encoding.

A quick search on YouTube brings up a fair amount of videos talking about encoding for Insta, settings, etc… Might be worth taking a look at some of them, and seeing what works best for you.

Yeah, I see it. Well, uploading a video from application may solve that problem.

Check it out here:

1 Like

Btw, there is a FOSS alternative to Insta called www.pixelfed.org

Have you tried it out? Instagrams latest algorithm changes have me thinking its a waste of time to upload there. I’ve been looking at pixelfed and mastodon, but the federated system seems like if I don’t choose the right one, I potentially wouldn’t get any exposure.

1 Like