Power Select Blender Addon

great it is updated already? Try also the fill select douple click feature I cant get it work with tablet, I can inverse select with shift button with tablet but not inner faces of the area inside

Hi. Looks like you’re still using version 2.9 in that GIF which was already discussed above. Yes it is updated on all platforms. After downloading and installing ensure the version number says 3.0.

1 Like

I can confirm everything works like charm now this is super useful addon :smiley:

2 Likes

Brilliant work! Version 3.0 is running great on my system, running Blender 3.0 and using a Wacom tablet. The combination of paint select/deselect and fill select is spot-on for my workflow.

OK, so - next wishlist item (are we never satisfied? lol). I’ve been playing with the alt-drag auto xray box select tool. It’s really, really useful! Might it be possible to add a toggle-able option to use lasso-select instead of box select with this feature? When working with organic meshes, the silhouettes aren’t often straight and so it could be quite handy to to have the lasso. It’s not an absolute-must feature, but I reckon it’d be very handy. Something to consider.

Thanks a lot for your responsiveness on the 3.0 update. I’m going to be getting a ton of use out of this.

2 Likes

BlenderSensei, can you box select from right to left and select part of an object in object mode and have it select the whole object like in cad programs?

@bkjernisted I’ve just tried this. You can box select left-to-right or right-to-left in object mode and it will select the entire mesh(es), even if only a portion of them were crossed by the selection box. It doesn’t appear to differentiate the direction you drag from, but it does behave in the way you mentioned. In edit mode, it will not select the entire mesh with a partial box selection - however, it does allow you to double-click on a mesh to achieve the same thing (and also offers alternate options for what double-click accomplishes) or you can use Blender’s native tools to accomplish the same things (apart from the new, excellent “fill select” feature of Power Select): ‘A’ for “select all” or ‘L’ for “select linked”.

Thanks 3Deploy. I am definitely considering purchasing the addon.

there is a hard crash when used this addon with zen uv

https://gfycat.com/bouncyshinyhumpbackwhale

" 1. It causes a selection operator in a non-correct context. The author of this addon must check the context before running any operator. This error is not associated with Zen UV."

“need something like if bpy.ops.uv.select.poll(): bpy.ops.uv.select()

Hi. I appreciate you checking with the other developer first (this helps me save time). This issue doesn’t appear to be related to Zen UV (this is pure Power Select screw up here haha). Doing my own testing it seems the issue happens when a mesh object is active but has no mesh while the UV editor is open (an empty object basically). I’ll have this fixed for the next version. Also, would appreciate if whenever anyone has a bug report they send it to 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁@𝗯𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗲𝗶.𝗰𝗼𝗺 rather than use this forum. Thanks!

1 Like

@BlenderSensei - Hey, I noticed that you uploaded a 3.2 version of Power Select to the purchased downloads. I just refreshed my Blender install to version 3.1.2 after completing a project, and am in the processing of updating all my plugins to the latest. I’ve noticed that Power Select 3.2 adds some paint-deselection options (option to use Control modifier for deselect to match native Blender behaviour), and also a lasso select - nice one!

I wanted to report an inconsistency I’m experiencing with Fill-Select using the Wacom Tablet. Again, this doesn’t appear to affect mouse usage, just tablet. Watch the Gif below. Basically, I’ve made a boundary face selection, and all I’m doing is double-clicking in the same spot just above the centre of the selection (even though the “active” face seems to jump around with a mind of its own), and then hitting Ctrl-Z to Undo, and repeating. Note that on the 3rd such round in the GIF, it randomly Link-Selects the entire mesh body instead Fill-Selecting as expected. Sometimes it happens on the 1st try, sometimes the 3rd, or 10th try or whatever… completely random, it would seem. If I also hold the Shift-key modifier down, then the random behaviour will Fill-Select the outside of the boundary selection, rather than the inside. Only while using a tablet.

Hopefully this is something reproduceable so it can be corrected. Really enjoying the overall development of this plugin, though. Cheers.

Additional Cheeky Feature Request: Is there any way to add DEselection options to the off-mesh drag selections? I realise the immediate problem is that we run out of modifier keys when both box and lasso selections are available at the same time. Alt key is obviously reserved for auto-Xray and that’s cool. With only Ctrl and Shift remaining, I could definitely live with only Box OR Lasso available at any given time. Maybe they could be toggled in some manner?

PowerSelect_3.2_FillSelectwWacomTablet

@BlenderSensei - I caught your update email for Power Select 3.3, incorporating the lasso/box de-select mode. I’ve just installed it and taken it for a little spin with the Wacom tablet. Seems to work great! Excellent update - thanks for all your efforts on this. With the combination of these features, plus the fill-select capabilities, I’m definitely working in a faster, better flow than with just the default Blender selection tools.

Hi,

I wonder if its possible to assign a hotkey for switching linked and loop? I use quite a lot the 180c linked when in face mode but when in edge mode I need qutie often prefer the loop and ring selection.

Would be cool if the addon would remember that loop select in edge mode and select linked in face mode. Or is this possible already? Alternatively if I could swap those modes by hotkey would also do.

Hi @BlenderSensei . I’m just in the midst of a full clean-reinstall of all my plugins/setting for Blender 3.6.1 LTS, using the latest version of Power Select as of today (v3.6). I’m running into inconsistent behaviour using the Fill Select with my Wacom tablet again… similar to bugs reported a few years ago.

Essentially, when I’m using my Wacom tablet for modelling (which is always…) with Power Select enabled, double left-clicking to Fill Select (after a loop of polygons has already been selected), will sometimes properly Fill Select… but just as often, it won’t, resulting in all faces of the mesh being selected. However, as soon as I switch to double left-clicking with my mouse, using the same loop of polygons, Fill Select works consistently, 100% of the time as far as I can tell. I wonder if this has to do with the fact that double-clicking with a Wacom stylus can never click exactly in the same place twice, due to the nature of holding a stylus? Or perhaps, because I simply can’t double-click my stylus at the same speed as a mouse, it accepts the first stylus click as replacing the loop selection with a single poly, and THEN tries to apply a Fill Select operation, resulting in every face being selected?

As a secondary/side request: would it be possible to make the Fill Selection operator hotkey-able in a standalone way? I’d love to just be able to call it from a hotkey and/or from one of my custom pie menus. Heck, I’d even buy it again as a separate addon if you wanted to go that direction. My point being, that Fill Selection is one of my all-time most-used can’t-live-without-it critical features… and Blender doesn’t bloody support it by default like all the commercial 3D modellers out there. And the one commercial Blender standalone plugin that used to offer it, “Smart Select”, was abandoned years ago :grimacing:

At any rate, here’s a GIF showing my results. The first five or so attempts at double-clicking shows what happens when I’m using a stylus. Then, I pause for a moment to switch to my mouse, and the remaining attempts show consistently correct behaviour.

Blender_PowerSelect_FillSelectBehaviour_10Aug23