Precisely Set Area/Editor Borders?

This frustrates me every time I set up a new custom startup (hello, 3.5.0 beta!), and last time I went looking (a few years ago) the answer was no, but it’s easy to miss incoming features and I thought I’d ask again:

Is it feasable (including with scripting, which I’m not really confident with but willing to give it a shot) to exactly set the borders of Areas/Editors so they match across Workspaces? I’m on the autism spectrum, it’s visually jarring for me when Outliner/Properties areas are different widths in different Workspaces, but because I increase the Preferences > Interface > Display > Resolution Scale, I can’t keep them on their (matching) initial width, I need them wider.

I’m hoping there’s something better than manually setting the width and then copying that Workspace to recreate all of 'em, because that’s a slog and I always miss something important.

To my knowledge this is not possible via python. Can you not set their widths and then save a new startup file?

That’s what I usually do. If you’ve moved yours around then set Blender to File > Defaults > Factory Default (don’t save after that, I don’t want you to lose any customization you use) and, starting on the Layout Workspace, use CTRL-PageDown to quickly move thru the Workspaces, keeping your eyes on the Outliner and Properties editors on the right. See how they’re the same width in every Workspace that has them?

Now try what I’ve said I do above, Preferences > Interface > Display > Resolution Scale and increase it to at least 1.2 – you’ll note that in the Layout Workspace the contents of the Outliner and Properties editors is now too large to see easily. Use your mouse to grab the border of the editors and move it to the left, not much, but enough that you can see the contents about as clearly as you could before.

Now go into the Modeling Workspace and move that border again, the exact same amount. Do the same for all the rest of the Workspaces that have it. Now use CTRL-PageDown to quickly move thru the Workspaces, keeping your eyes on the Outliner and Properties editors on the right – see them jitter? Because it’s pretty much not possible to manually move them exactly the same (at least not for me – if I had that kind of hand/eye coordination I’d be more into physical arts than CG).

Then I’d save my custom startup file (with a bunch of other changes) and put up with the border jitter that’s now between the Workspaces. But being on the autism spectrum, that can be a lot to put up with, sometimes too much.

The data’s in the startup file, it has to be. But not accessible in Blender? I’ve put up with this since they gave us Workspaces, and I’ve found them far too great an improvement to my workflow to give them up. Needs must, I’ll put up with this.

Oh. Well it was an idea at least. :smile:

1 Like

Appreciate the thought. :nerd_face: An off-site recommendation (thanks Mom!) was to stick post-its on my screen, line the area borders up against 'em. Which works!

20230217a_3p5p0beta_BackupStartup.blend (1002.8 KB)

Not the code solution I was thinking of so I’m not checkmarking myself (or Mom), but at least I’m not wincing when I tab thru my Workspaces. :+1:

2 Likes

Now you just gotta get your mom to make an account so you can give her a check mark :wink:

3 Likes