Preparing model to be 3D printed

Hey guys! I am an intermediate blender user and i have a created a model which i want to get it ready for 3d printing. I don’t have any experience in 3d printing. Therefore i don’t know how to make sure if my model is water tight and if it has enough edges for 3D printing. I only know one thing which is that the squads must be turned into tris however i don’t even know if that will help in my case. This is very important and urgent as it’s need to be handed in to my university. i am required to do this alone. I would really appreciate your help🙏.

The model has a cylindrical shape. Here is an image of what it looks like:

I would link you here if you have any more questions, ask anything I will try to be more explanatory.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I will take a look at the link

absolutely no experience!

but maybe this Blender-addon could possibly help you further

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/mesh/3d_print_toolbox.html

1 Like

People like to make out that preparing models for print is complicated - it’s not. It’s actually kinda difficult to mess a mesh up so badly that it won’t print.

In terms of triangulated faces, you’re right, but blender (and every other program) will take care of that for you when it comes to exporting as an STL.

The most important thing, honestly, is making sure your scale is correct. Make sure your scale is applied (All values should be 1.0) and when you export, by default, you will need to set the scale value to 1000 in the sidebar of the export window.

If it’s non-manifold then the slicer will usually tell you when you import the model, though even then, 9 times out of 10, it will print just fine.

There is also an addon that comes bundled with blender that can check the print before hand. Though as I say, it’s genuinely quite difficult to create a mesh that can’t be printed.

1 Like