Pressing F12 to render, froze my computer!

Hi Folks,

I was doing a tutorial (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Quickie_Render) and it says to press F12 anytime and I did that and my computer froze. Nothing on the keyboard worked, mouse, etc - everthing FROZE. I was forced to reboot.

Computer is a micron with nvida but as far as I know, it running fine, has been for years.

Anyone had any problems with the rendering?

Thanks!
Dan

Did it ‘froze’ or was it just busy rendering? What does your Task Manager say while it’ froze?

%<

It ‘froze’. All inputs were inaccessable. Keyboard, mouse, everything - not even Control-Alt-Delete works so cannot bring up the task manager.

Dan

In F10, in the Output tab, bottom center, are 2 buttons “DispWin” and “DispView”; change yours to “DispView” which will render in the 3D viewport instead of opening a new window. Hit F12 and see if that works.

%<

Hmmm… must have been a fluke… When I rebooted the system, and opened it up again, with the gingerbread man, and hit F12, a new window popped up and it started rendering and the gbman was rendered. I did have a LOT of windows opened so maybe that had something to do with it such as limited memory to work with. Dunno.

I tried F10 - and I did not get a response - I am not sure what this function is supposed to do. Sorry, I am a newbie :expressionless:

Dan

It takes you to the Render Buttons.

%<

Umm… dang. It happened again. Rendering FROZE my system again. This is obviously not a fluke. It caused me to do a forced hard reboot as I was not able to use my system with ALL inputs blocked.

This is really, really bad especialy since I cannot save my hard-earned work!

Please report this issue as a bug. It seems to happen intermittently and randomly so it seems.

Dan

Like Flight% already said, try rendering in the 3D View instead of the popup render window. Press F10, then in the Ouput panel in the buttons area select DispView.

Yes, I ask those questions for a reason; if you can render succeccfully with DispView it’s unlikely that it anything in the file that’s problematic. Then we can move onto asking you about your Video Card, hardware acceleration etc…

%<