Prevent data loss when transferring from Blender 2.79 to 2.8

You don’t have to read this part, it’s just a bit of context behind why I am making this post

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After downloading Blender 2.8 today, I opened up a project file that I had been working on for quite some time. However, upon opening it in 2.8 the only objects, empties, lights etc. that were visible in the scene were the ones in the scene (the layer I had selected). There were collection within 2.8 indicating that the objects, empties, lights etc. from the other layers, the ones I didn’t have selected, were in the file, but they were all greyed out. I spent about half an hour searching for a solution and troubleshooting said issue with Blender, I had no luck resolving it.**

**The primary reason that this was an issue, was that I saved the file within 2.8, meaning I could no longer open it in 2.79. To further my issue, the last backup I had of the file was from a month ago, so I would’ve lost a lot of progress. Luckily, however, there was a copy from the night before in my laptop’s temp folder. Essentially, I made several mistakes that could have possibly resulted in me losing months of work (stupid on my behalf) but was lucky enough to have that backup in the temp folder.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, in hopes of preventing this from happening to other people, I found a very simple solution to the problem. Upon opening up your .blend file in 2.79 press the ~ key to make all layers visible, and then alt-h to ensure that everything in the file is visible.

Save the file and then feel free to open it up in 2.8 without fear of losing anything :slight_smile:. Also, just don’t be an idiot like me and randomly save the file despite seeing that there was a problem :unamused: Hope this prevents anything like this from happening to anyone else and or solves the problem of data not transferring across from 2.79 to 2.8 properly.

Hey, it’s this probably:

Also unless you have some special 2.79 UI layout that you absolutely must move over, always uncheck the “Load UI” option in the Open… dialog. This will then leave you with a clean 2.80 UI layout without trying to convert/maintain what you had in 2.79.