Preventing loop subdivide from ruining curve.

When I have a rounded surface, and I want to add a loop subdivide, it screws up my nice smooth curves.
If snapping is the answer I can’t figure out how to do it, plus that’s tedious.
Is there some way to make the new vertices fall on the curve?
[ATTACH]327408
[ATTACH]327409

Attachments

sample curving surface.blend (512 KB)sample curving surface.blend.zip (79 KB)

in the tool shelf on the left there’s a control for the smoothness of your loop cut. if you turn it up it will try to adjust for the curvature of surrounding faces. the panel appears only when you make a loop cut, so you will not see it before then.

Doesn’t quite work as well as I’d like, but thanks. I didn’t know about that option.

Duplicate mesh and use as a target for the Shrinkwrap modifier on the one you edit. Apply mod and delete copy after.

Here, check this out:sample curving surface.blend (562 KB)

@Rontarrant, that’s a very cool way to lay out instructions!

Here’s my 2 cents: this is actually not that easy to fix once you’ve missed the boat on using the ‘smooth’ setting (in the operator panel)when adding the loopcuts. ‘Undo and repeat using the smooth slider this time’ is the first thing to try.

But if you don’t have that option, here’s another way. Like almost everything I model in Blender this uses the LoopTools addon, so enable it!

Wow, fantastic DruBan! This is exactly what I needed! Nice graphic too!

Actually spelled everything correctly on this one. :smiley:

If addons were rated by how many shortcuts they get in my prefs this one wins hands down - five tools are so essential that I demoted default keybinds to make room for them.

LoopTools. Don’t leave home without it!