preview and render out cam size?

Hi All,
I was wondering why when I set up my cam dimensions as pictured below my render out is not looking like my dimensions of my preview…?
Attached is the Blend file and pics to get an idea. Thanks in advance

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/30303

Set X and Y pixel Aspect Ratio to 1

Richard thank you. I had set it to 5 trying to save render space (pull in closer with out losing height)~ via a taller shot. I was under the impression that the outline is the cam view, and cam view is what is rendered? No ?

The camera view is what was rendered, but to a non square pixel aspect ratio. Computer monitors have square pixels, while other output devices(such as television) may not.

What does anamorphic have to do with the screen shot? That makes no sense for an answer…

By changing the pixel aspect ratio to 1:5 in the Render > Dimensions panel you’re telling Blender that you want to use an output device in which every pixel is 5 times higher than it is wide. Blender tries to preview that in the 3D viewport by showing this tall and narrow camera frame even though your render dimensions are actually widescreen (1280 x 720).

And Blender also renders it that way. The only problem is: The display device you’re using (your monitor) does not have the pixel aspect ratio of 1:5 you chose, but rather a standard 1:1. Hence it displays your render differently than the 3D viewport previewed it.

If you want to change the framing of your scene, change the render resolution, not the pixel aspect ratio.

Hi,

I have the same problem. However, I tried the above advice but it didn’t work… So my problem is once I’ve selected in the “view” menu, the “camera” option, it only shows me a very tiny piece of the whole picture. Could you help me out please?

Many thanks in advance!
Julie Sara

… and also this comment, born from the painful experience of doing a lot of renders that had to be re-done: “Always test-render something, and look at it on the actual device, before rendering in-earnest.”

Yes, the “safe-area displays” are helpful, as is your imagination, as are the things that Blender does to simulate how the finished shot will look. But, still, there’s no substitute for putting the actual equipment that the customer will see side-by-side with your 3D rendering workstations. An “OpenGL Preview” render should do nicely, and it can be done fast. Your eyes will see problems just as quickly as the audience will :spin: … but now you can do something about it. Scratch-shoot the entire film, and review it all. When final-rendering, render frame-one and look at frame-one.

I do stuff for kiosk displays and I quickly discovered that you need to get an actual copy of the actual device that will be installed, and to specify that this same device must be the one that is installed. The ability of low-grade equipment to render an image is all over the map, and it’s not just aspect-ratio.

Best answeer:
“If you want to change the framing of your scene, change the render resolution, not the pixel aspect ratio.”

Thanks Ikari Makes sense. My mindset was that of AE and cropping my shot, where my crop does not affect my output. Now I know, that is not a crop feature; thank you again, for elaborating on the 1:1 correction.

@ Sundials If I ever to Kiosk work I will keep that in mind.

"
Issues of non-square pixels Directly mapping an image with a certain pixel aspect ratio on a device whose pixel aspect ratio is different makes the image look unnaturally stretched or squashed in either the horizontal or vertical direction"

…seems to make perfect sense. Have a nice day :slight_smile:

@Organic- To you, in your mind…However as stated Ikari made the clearest point. The scene is made in square pixels via Blender not an anamorphic shot via a film cam into computer world. Read my reply of why I thought so…
"Best answeer:
“If you want to change the framing of your scene, change the render resolution, not the pixel aspect ratio.”

Thanks Ikari Makes sense. My mindset was that of AE and cropping my shot, where my crop does not affect my output. Now I know, that is not a crop feature; thank you again, for elaborating on the 1:1 correction."

If you want to help someone you do not throw an encyclopedia at them with a vague subject. You tell them as Ikari did, so they can fix it and if you would like to elaborate further then by all means share your links. Coming back to justify your answer is not conducive or even helpful.
Peace

@ J Sara. Forum manners (since you have one post) You do NOT hop into someones thread to switch it to be about you and your project. That is referred to Hijacking a thread. Start your own. Notice How I started this thread and follow suit for help. Screen grabs and blend file.
To upload a blend file use Pasteall.org Note the address bar after upload for the URL to paste here.