Prince of the forest

Calling this one done now. The stag was my first real sculpt in blender, meaning taking it seriously + was my start for my sketchbook here.

Initally the stag should have only served as a mere practice sculpt, but I worked much longer on it than I wanted (and should have). I learned a lot with this one and all though it’s not where I’d like it to be, I’m glad I pushed through a lot of frustration.

Sculpted in blender, partially textured in Mari (because I wanted to learn the software), eyes textured in Blender, too, “renders” out of Unreal (learned the hard way that fur should still be made with haircards, at least with my specs. That’s also the reason the stag has a rather thin coat)

5 Likes

Enjoyed your progress! Indeed the crown must go to the deer. Truly a magnificent animal! And you did great depicting it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I loved watching your progress in your sketchbook, and I would love to see more from this model in the future, but I understand why you closed it down for the moment.

1 Like

It’s his summer coat, that’s why it’s thin.

It’s really cool to look at the stag now after having followed the process from the start. You’ve come a long way (not gonna call you “baby” though even if you light a cigarette for post-finish relaxation! :little snicker:)! [*]

[*] It occurs to me that we might not share cultural referents here – “You’ve come a long way, baby” was an advertising slogan for the cigarette brand Virginia Slims from the late 60s to the late 90s, which was specifically targeted at women, and exploited the concepts of women’s liberation. While addressing women as “baby”. The irony is kinda thick on the ground; Big Tobacco was a menace. Sorry, never mind the excursion, I’m in a weird mood today.

2 Likes

Thank you a lot! :slight_smile:

@piranha4D hah, thank you! Yes, summer coat. Definitely. With “you’ve come a long way, baby” I instantly thought of the song from Army of Lovers :laughing: But thank you for the explanation and no need to be sorry, the opposite.

1 Like