Principled Baker - Bake PBR textures with a few clicks

I have just tried this addon. It is really amazing. I expect it to save me quite a lot of repetitive actions. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Thx, BTW, while using it I thought about two more suggestions, The First one is simply adding a ā€œuse material name as prefixā€ (instead of ā€œobject nameā€) which is how I prefer sorting my Textures\materials.
The second one is a little bit more complicated, so I explain it with my use case.
Sometimes I want to bake material which can be tiled seemlessly through large UV, currently, I use a plane with the material I want to bake and when I bake it its preserve the tiling of the original texture, this way I can easily edit any image texture and combine it with my procedural workflow.
So, what do you think about adding a ā€œbake to UVā€™s boundaryā€ option?
And again, thank you for this awesome add-one. :grin:

Thereā€™s no progress bar with this add-on? :laughing:

Seems to work exactly as advertised, and although it contains many options, the autodetect worked fine, and I even managed to tweak some settings and get it to work on my first attempt! :+1:

EDIT: Whoops, seems the output is a world space normal map, and not the ā€œstandardā€ tangent space normal map? Not sure how to use thisā€¦ (also, my target platform is Unreal Engine, so now I need to investigate how that works as well).

EDIT 2: Maybe it is tangent space after all, but still some weird stuff is happeningā€¦

EDIT 3: No, baking other models turns them black after applying the normal map. Help? :slight_smile:

@DanielEngler Hey ! Thanks for this addon !
Do you plan on adding name-pairing feature ? It would be really awesome !
Or maybe have a collab with BakeWrangler if the author is willing too. It would be absolutely awesome and finally make Blender good for baking. Because letā€™s face itā€¦ in the current state, baking in Blender without addon is a pain.

I had some issues with my computer. First hardware. Than stupid Windows. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Now, I installed Manjaro and had to setup everything. This is much better now. :grin:

The issue with progress bar is a never ending oneā€¦ :roll_eyes:

The baked normal maps should work fine in blender. Not sure how not?

Just flip the green channel. Look over there: https://continuebreak.com/articles/how-bake-normal-maps-blender-28-ue4/#blender_baking

Can you replicate this? Could be a bug and bugs need to be fixed.

I think this is a (now fixed) bug. If not, can you replicate this?

Added ā€œFirst Material Name as (second or third) Prefixā€ to Prefix/Suffix Settings.

With UV islands over the borders you will can have visible issues. Better use UDIM.

Baking with UDIM: We can wait, till it is possible with blender itself. Or: It is possible now with temporarily shifting UV maps around. Very hacky!

Iā€™ll try to see if I can make an example to replicate what I saw for youā€¦ butā€¦ ahemā€¦ can I ask you to take a look at this in the meantime? Iā€™m having trouble running it when several objects are selected at once, and Iā€™m guessing you made that too? :sweat_smile:

I totally missed your issue report from February!
I fixed it. Should work now. :grin:

Hi Daniel thank you for this useful add-on.
I have a question: when i bake more then 1 object, the baking time gets longer after every object, as if the add-on would re-bake parts of previous objects to the object it bakes at the moment. For example: first one takes 1 min second object 1,3 min, then 2 min then 2,5 and so on. The last object takes 30 minutes. It is not because it bakes the object in order of complexity starting at the simplest one. When i bake every object as a single job, every object needs less then 1 minutes and the bake is perfect. It would be great if you could help me out. I bake in Cycles, use Blender 2.82a and got your program from here: https://github.com/danielenger/Principled-Baker
Thanks, D.

Hi Daniel. Your adon is just amazing. All paid addon are crap compare to yours. Only question i have. Is it posible to have clear image option. I need to bake another mesh to the same map as previous bake. So i need clear image box unchecked. Is it possible to donate your project. Many thanks. Jan

Not sure if im doing something wrong

In Blender 2.82 and 2.83
The diffiuse / color is always darker when baked

And if I bake it manually its the correct brightness

EDIT:
Whoops it looks like it was my fault
blender_2020-06-09_20-05-57

Accidently put this into Minus. It works now lol

If i had this 1 week agoā€¦ :frowning:

Long time no see.
Iā€™ll rework parts of the code in the next weeks. The reason for the rework is to make new features and maintenance more easy. The add-on got way bigger than originally planned and the code got messy very quick.
Also, bugs have to be fixed. The batch mode still has a stupid overhead bug, that can results in minutes of useless computing time with many objects/materials.

3 Likes

The addon is incredibly useful! Thank you very much!

I have 1 question: What ā€œAmbient Occlusionā€ checkbox in ā€œAutodetect/Bake Listā€ does when Iā€™m baking Selected to active? Whats the source of the ā€œAOā€ ?

Thank you!

The Ambient Occlusion comes from the Ambient Occlusion node in the shader node tree. Itā€™s the same for Selected to Active.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this amazing add-on. It really helps me in creating game assets with out the need of other expensive software.

what is the current version?

is there a stable version for EEVEE?

does it work with E-cycles?

Do you have an instruction manual?

is there a way to bake without the shape of the object / UV?
resulting in a square image?

tanks

I get the following error in Blender 2.83.4

Using v0.5.5 of the baker Principled Baker

Not sure why, but if you look closer to the Error, it duplicates the path and makes kinda double path. The only way Iā€™ve found to fix this is to use relative directory, like on screenshot.image

Thanks
Much appreciated