Principled Baker - Bake PBR textures with a few clicks

workaround: assign different vertex groups to each object, merge them and bake. select by vertex group and separate. Or just duplicate, merge and bake. or save, merge, bake and revert the file.

1 Like

Yes that would work. And saving the objects to vertex groups is definitely a good idea.
But in principle, should the addon have the functionality to do this without a workaround? Because doing it manually works. So I am wondering if there is something broken or if this was never possible anyway.

Iā€™m trying to use the addon to hopefully prepare some objects that were textured procedurally in Blender and use them in Unreal Engine.

The objects donā€™t have proper UV maps, and are using a few different UV maps to place different textures and decals.

Iā€™m trying to use the Smart UV Project option. Here are my settings.

When I hit bake I get this error.

Hereā€™s a closer view of whatā€™s going on in the material of the object.

Iā€™m having an issue with one texture getting distorted. Iā€™ve attached a couple of screenshots showing the issue. Thanks.

Unable to bake textures now on Mac OS Big Sur. Unsure if itā€™s exclusive to my system or not. I put a full report on the Github page with the error message.

pretty nice work BTW,
dose this support UDIMs baking ?

Hi,

Iā€™m new to Blender and the Principled Baker and have a question.

I am trying to bake to a Composite PNG where RGB is R=AO, B=Roughness G=Metallic
(Itā€™s for a MSFS2020 texture)

The Roughness and Metallic seem to be getting baked in, But the AO is just left as a blank, fully black channel.

Does anyone have a guide as to how to set-up the node tree so the AO is recognised and baked into the channel that I need it to baked into?

Thank you

1 Like

Installed add-on - absolutely no idea how to use it.
No docs, no readme, no screenshot, no links to videos.
Is it so hard to provide minimal docs for users?
Typical painful Blender way, when you must spend hours, google, search in YT to find a single button in addons.

1 Like

YOU SAID IT! Frustrating isnā€™t it? I think there must be a rule to keep things as difficult as possible to learn.

Because of some disscussion elsewhere i just tested PrincipledBaker (with 2.93.6 and 3.0.0, on debian linux): the standard cube with UVs but with musgrave texture on generated coord, clicke Bake (simplest setting Combined (standard), not batch or something else) ā€¦ The file must be saved to get relative path. Save. Bake. :tada: image in directory. And there are lots of other settingsā€¦ Niceā€¦ Very niceā€¦ have to investigate moreā€¦

To @DanielEngler : Thanks. You may should ask a moderator to modify the first post because of version is already at 5.7 and not 3.3 anymore ?? (and +1 for not using win)

To @Fernando6270 and @Ingapambi :
In the history of blender baking wasnā€™t always posssible because of the workflow and/or initial architecture of the renderer (thatā€™s the reason why even today itā€™sā€¦ not easy) in eevee it isnā€™t even possible yet (i almost always have to look up the docu). So baking has to be handled extraordinary specialā€¦
And exactly this is why somebody did an addon (besides one or to other which havenā€™t tested yet)ā€¦ there are even some to pay forā€¦ So i suggest to look at the normal back workflow to get the idea and then look again at this addon. As i mentioned above if you have a procedural texture sahder setup and the needed UVs simple bake will bake those to an image :tada: and looking more and more into it i think the options are pretty self-explanatoryā€¦ and you may have found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LNB2RMao0 (sadly just music and not at the time @Ingapambi asked Nov2019 but there is a video embedded in this thread Dec2019)

Can the Plugin dev implement the new UDIM Bake that Blender implemented into the Principled Baker? Its really boring having to constantly create new textures just to bake 1 material and also even worse when you have to copy and paste each texture for every single material that you want to bake. Plz add it, your add on has saved me hours!! AMAZING WORK!

1 Like

Sorry, I did not sift through all the replies here but it looks like there are not many current threads to this year (2022).

My question to the developer is:

Does your addon work with the latest Blender 3.3.0 ?
Are you planning on updating or maintaining this addon?

I hope so because it is an awesome addon in the older versions of Blender but I am not getting good results in the current version of Blender 3.3.0

1 Like

I relate. It doesnā€™t install on 3.3 for me; but I think this addon is a Devine gift worth $$.

It looks like there has been no maintenance/upgrade since the transition to 2.8. Perhaps there will be no PB?

Made a quick test: installs and seems to works on 3.3.0 on linuxā€¦ (simple test with magic texture and and image on the standard cubeā€¦ )

And for this addon the via Code ā†’ Download ZIP downloaded archive is the addon and doesnā€™t differ to some other developer repositories ā€¦

1 Like

Thanks to the maker of this addon for making this free and available to Blender users. :+1:

Any chance someone here can pls update this addon to 3.6? :pray:

Agreed, this addon is a must have for me, it should be part of default blender. Too bad its author doesnā€™t seem to be maintaining it anymore. For the record it works fine with 3.5

Yeah, unfortunately is broken in 3.6. Hoping a kind hearted person here can help us update it. I sincerely hope the dev is doing okay. There might be a reason why it hasnā€™t gotten an update since from the dev so if someone here can pls help, I think we all will really appreciate it.

Its a very good addon.

is it possible to bake multiples separated objects in one texture? i know if you join them it works but when they are separated it doesnā€™t work and only bake the active object textures and thanks for this insane addon

Wishing the same. So handy when only diffuse is available. Any developer out there, Iā€™ll buy it if you update this must have add-on. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :money_mouth_face: :100: