Principled Volume = Invisible Emission. Why?

Not a good idea, the laser looks like a solid blue plastic stick if you do that. We need the chromatic attenuation.

I would challenge your view on that with this:

The classic star wars light saber has white core and chromatic glows around it, and we still percieve them as blue and red light beams.

Which one would you rather see?

Thanks for your input. I must admit, in direct comparison I would definitly rather choose the beam with the white core, as it looks more energetic, as if the core was so powerfull and highly photon emitting that it almost blinds you.

The question though would be: would this also work infront of a white background? Given my limited experience I must say: I don’t know. I could image though that it would work, as the blue fog around it could act like a sort of frame and therefor create a clear border to the white background.

What would a shader like that look like?

When you say white, does it need to be your monitor’s maximum emission? (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)

Let’s think about this, the blue emission from the monitor is not going to be the max emission, it’s almost guaranteed to not work, unless you do some kind of perceptual lightness trick, like how on the freeway they put black surrounds around white strikes to increase contrast:

But putting the trick here doesn’t quite make sense:

What I am seeing here is a white core surrounded by darker blues that gradually become the brighter white.

It’s still better than a solid blue stick though:

If the “white” you are referring to doesn’t have to be maximum monitor emission, then of course it works:

We just need to think in terms of the luminance relationship here, is the background as bright as the laser? Or is the laser darker than the background? Or should the laser be brighter than the background? Basically figure-ground relationship.

Just basic emission with volumetric lighting/glare node, plus a good view transform that has proper chromatic attenuation, such as ARRI Reveal, AgX, etc.

Filmic has some attenuation in place but doesn’t go all the way:

If the background is pure white, the glare node won’t work as it’s additive in nature. You would have to somehow color correct the glow to be darker than the background.

Maybe it would be possible to make a material with a glowing core surrounded by a dark fog. Here is an attempt (however, it works only as a cylinder shape and loses its look under certain angles).

laser_material.blend (919.7 KB)

This looks like a cyan solid metal tube to me. The idea of trying to make it glow against a maximum-monitor-pixel-emission background just doesn’t quite make sense. The “tube” cannot have more emission intensity than the background, since it’s already the maximum of the display medium.

1 Like

Indeed it’s not truly possible to do, and it would not work with a real camera either.

I am trying to find a compromise here, a stylized visual that can convey the idea.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I thought about this a bit further and would like to make a compromise that I didn’t plan on doing. However, as it makes sense that there can’t be anything whiter/more glowing than a simple white monitor, I would like to add a coloured plane (orange in this case) behind the laser. It will act as a sort of “overlay” to the plain white powerpoint slide and hopefully give the laser some “oomph” from the background.

I’ll have to experiment now with the shader suggestions you made @Eary_Chow. Given the HSV-Value of the Orange already is 0.846874, the Laser will have to be above that right?

I don’t remember suggesting any shader, what I said was that a simple emission with glare, and then make sure you use a better view transform that has proper chromatic attenuation, instead of “Standard”. Then you can set the layser emission to be higher than 1.0, some tens or even hundreds. Then the view transform will do the job for you, it will automatically give you the white core and make it look good.

Given a better view transform, you most likely won’t need to worry about that.\

(EDIT: I wrote something about color mixing, but then realize it’s not a diffuse background, nevermind about that then.)

Thanks. I followed the settings and somehow mine looks totally different, even when even when adapting your glare Settings. This is what the render looks like:

Settings:

I didn’t have the aGX optionen and downloaded one from youtube, but it doesn’t seem to match the one you have. Also, it strongly affects the colour of the orange background, which I want to avoid. Any tipps here?

I was using the GPU compositor feature. The glare setting is bit different in GPU compositor.

The YT videos are about the initial version, I have submitted it to Blender devs but they still don’t have time to do a proper review just yet.

BTW when it comes to layser representation in an image, it prehaps makes more sense to have a darker environment and have objects be illuminated, like how you would turn off the lamps when blowing birthday candles.

I downloaded the pack, but I don’t see a colormanagement folder, and the search wouldn’t find anything - am I blind?

Regarding the darker environment: I will fiddle around a bit with the input you gave me. If I’m still not satisfied witht the glow on the orange background, I might use a black one, although I would really want to avoid that as I already made a compromise on the orange one.

The link I posted was already showing the folder though?

Just suggesting that’s what most people would see these sort of lighting in.

I don’t know about the actual use case of your image so it’s up to you.

Thanks again, I finally managed to download the Agx LUTs and experiment with them a bit. I’m really getting there in terms of what Laser I want to achieve. One new problem I am having though:

The chosen view transform expectedly also affects every other object in the scene. While the laser looks great with it, the either orange or black background for example looks “washed out” and not just “uni/plain” as I would like it to. Is there any way to compensate for this? Can a view transform (although the name implies otherwise) somehow also be applied to just one object?

Maybe you can try the Guard Rail view transform. It’s supposed to be a “Standard” but with chromatic attenuation.

It made things better, not quite there:

The white background is supposed to be starch white, the black pitch black. Worst case I could do witht the background, but not the washed out black which is fading expecially around the corners.

Seems to be the glare node glowing the white background, maybe try highering the threshold setting.

1 Like

That made things better, neither the white background nor the black overlay are now blending into each other anymore. But they are still not binary in colour, more like this:

If the background is 1.0, Guard Rail would also return 1.0. DId you lower the background intensity?

The white Background and the black overlay are both Emission-Shaders with Intensity “1^”, as I had good experience with this in a previous project. However, they do not return 0, see here for the white:

And the black:

I am not sure what’s happening then. It’s all working for me:

Another option is simply composite the background, we would just have a glowing laser with transparent background in the scene. We would only apply the glare node to that, and then alpha over the background.