Proble with unwrapping/uv texturing

Hi all,
I got 3 problems in my texturing action:

1. At first, I had a mesh with 2 seams, so, after unwrapping it with lcsm I got 3 pieces. Now I deleted the seams (ctrl e, erase seams) and there are still 3 parts after unwrapping it… What to do to erase the seams fully / and/or become 1 part in uv/image ed at the end?

2. After doing some experiments, It seams that I assigned 2 color maps (also by uv select faces, and applyind it in the image ed) on the same mesh. How to delete one?

3. After wrapping the color map on the model by unwrapping the texture/assigning a color texture in image ed I want a specular and a bump texture as well. Is this possible?

I hope I ll receive some help

With best regards,
Chris

Question 1:
Could you post the blend file, It’s hard to figure out what is going on without seeing it.

Question 2:
I have also had difficulty removing unused images loaded in the uv editor. The best success I have had is to delete all the images (the “x” after the name) and to also delete any textures associated with the material (in the texture tab in the materials buttons). Save the file and then reload. If this doesn’t work you can try appending the object into a new file.
Since this is such a hassle I usually just leave them and make sure the texface button isn’t depressed and then they don’t render.

Question 3:
Rather than loading the images in the uv editor (which can only use one texture at a time) add them as a image texture and set the map input to UV. In this way you can add several textures colour, spec etc. They will all use the same mapping.

Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

hi
Ill post the file when Im back at home again.

1. With this method, do I need to delete all the textural information of the whole mesh? Because my problem concentrates itself just on the shell. =/

2. On that way, can I still assign the textures manually on different regions I selected by vertice with the image ed, or do I need one texture which becomes automatically wrapped on the whole model?

With best regards,
Chris

hi you can use more textures by: adding texture map in texture buttons,…and,…in material buttons, change mapping for that texture channel from ‘orco’ to ‘UV’. you can repeat this by adding more texture channels.
<edit> also check out the UV mapping tuts here in my signature
V
V
V

Hi - now here comes the file:
http://abyi.com/turtletotry7.blend

Thanks for the submissions,
Regards,
Chris

Hi,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I had a look at your file and everything seems to work as expected.

I guessing that you are a little confused between textures, materials, meshes, and the uvmap. I hope the following clears this up.

1. A mesh object can have only one uvmapping. A uvmapping defines what part of an image get mapped to each face of your mesh.

2. A mesh have up to 16 materials, but a particular face of the mesh can only be in one material.

3. a material can use up to 8 textures.

So supposing that you have a mesh divided into two materials A and B. You load an texture image © into material A and set the “map input” to UV an the “map to” to color. Then the part of the image texture C as defined by the uvmap (there can be only one) will be displayed on the material A part of the mesh. You could also add additional texture images to to material A and UV map them to specularity or bump etc. They would use the same uvmapping.

You could load different image textures to material B and use the uv map input. They would still use the one and only uvmap but only the faces in material B would use those textures.

That said, normally when you UVmap a mesh you use only one material for the entire object. This material can have up to 8 textures. Therefore you could load up to 8 different images (all using the one and only uvmapping) for colour, spec etc.

I hope this clears up your questions,
GreyBeard

Ok, first: thank you.

Now I just got one more question: You saw The mesh I did, Is it possible to use specular and bump maps with it in the same way as the color map ist applied on without doing the whole texturing new?

Best Regards,
Chris

Yes. We appear to be suffering from a language barrier so here is an example blend of a UV mapped object with separate colour and spec textures.

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/example.blend

Here is a render

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/ex1.jpg

GreyBeard

yes. you’re right. I also alredy searched for some german who’s experienced in this in #blender…but nothing . =/

Thank you for the file… I hope it will help me to reach the secrets of uv texturing %|

With best regards,
Chris

ok, I guess I understood how it works, let me retrace your steps.

1. you unwrapped the model and saved the unwrap file
  2. you did a new color map with using the unwrap file
  3. you assigned the color map to the texture channel ans turned “uv” on.

Ok, if it works like this, I should easily delete the picture in uvedit and insert the same texture in the texture properties, turn uv on, and it should work…but: oops… It doesn’t…

Looks a bit weird…anyone wants to try? here’s the texture:

http://abyi.com/uvinskin.jpg

With best regards,
Chris

you unwrapped the mode

correct

and saved the unwrap file

I exported the uvmap using the “save uv face layout”

you did a new color map with using the unwrap file

In gimp I made a colour map using the saved face layout as a guide.

you assigned the color map to the texture channel ans turned “uv” on.

yes. --Possible problem-- did you go into the texture buttons (F6 shortcut) and load your colur map image file?

Ok, if it works like this, I should easily delete the picture in uvedit and insert the same texture in the texture properties, turn uv on, and it should work…but: oops… It doesn’t…

Yes, you have the idea. --Possible problems-- make sure texface is off and the image is loaded in the texture buttons (F6). The image won’t be visible until you render it. If you want the image visible in the 3d window you must also load it in the uv editor.

Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

Im really sorry about this procedure… but this also didnt solve my problem… I hoped that turning “texface” off (was the only thing which wasnt ok) will solve my problem…but no.same thing…
If anyone could take the file, he should see the problem.

Thank you much for the help till this point.

With best regards,
Chris

3 things:

1. the turtle has to be completely unwrapped, so faces are not overlapping when all are selected, ( unless they are using the same portion of the image )
  2. there is no texture for the material. You have to add one, and then load your image in that channel.
  3. You forgot to pack the blend I think because i didn’t find any image file with it.
  4. You may want to try using different material indices, since there will be some differences in say, specularity for the shell.

Other than that, that is a really nice model! Nice work!

Hi,
I posted a link to the texture file some posts ago, please try it, you ll see what I am speaking about :wink:

Thank you for the nice crits :wink:

With best regards,
Chris

hey… I guess I succeeded. It works now…

Still got one question: If you take a look on the rendering of the picture, you ll see 2 seams on the top shell… I tried to remove them and unwrap the top shell again, but It was still splitted in 3 parts…dont know why…when I unwrap the whole model new without these seams it works… =//

Regards and big thanks for all the postings,
Chris

noone?
=(

Select all the verts of your turtle in object mode. Then press w->remove doubles. There were about 200 double verts in the file you posted. Then mark the seams on your turtle where you want it cut and do a LSCM unwrap.

If you don’t understand the above download and watch the following movie:
http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/mytut/uvtut.avi

When you have finished unwrapping your turtle - export the uvmap and post the picture here.

GreyBeard

I just can say: thank you. =)

Now everything works. You’ve been right with erasing the double vertices and trying to unwrap it again. Now it worked.
Another important thing: The model was duplicated on the same place, because of this, there have been these curious material faults.

Ill post the picture when it’s finished. Now Im doing a specular and Bump map at first :wink: .

With best regards,
Chris